Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Any one else having Onshape dreams?

jonathan_stedmanjonathan_stedman Member, Mentor Posts: 65 PRO
Curses.  My deep beauty sleep has now begun to be interrupted by Onshape dreams.  Is this common?

Anyway here is what I could remember.

One unique Tab for each Document - something like 'Summary'.  In this tab was a place to list of all the other tabs lived and their tab info - material,s size, last used, parts sketchs - general admin stuff. 

plus more -  Where you changed units, set up preferences, stored commonly used dimensions for the project ( my mental name for docs) etc. Store snippets od Drawing notes etc.  Macros could be stored here if such things exist in Onshape world. . 3rd party add-ins are displayed here and activated and controlled here where their preferences lived.  I could imagine the rendering materials , colours etc living here and then drag and dropped into the list of the assemblies.   

Leveraging the fact that in Onshape world one can 'collaborate' with oneself (is that rude?  and even legal in all US states? ) by having two browsers open of the same doc , it would not be difficult to have the 'Summary' open permanently . Perhaps use it to shuffle by drag and drop  info from one sub assembly to another or studio to studio or studio to assembly.

Then I woke up

Jon

Comments

• jonathan_stedmanjonathan_stedman Member, Mentor Posts: 65 PRO
    Just remembered - the summary page could also be configured when in self collaboration mode to give and 'advanced' history tree of what ever studio was open in the other session.  The advanced history tree could have more detailed info on each feature, sketch with better error messages.  Perhaps like the second SW feature tree that pops up when making selections etc. All a bit hazy when I woke up 

TTFN

Jon
  • Ed_DanzerEd_Danzer Member, Mentor Posts: 13
    I hope there is a standard parts library that you can subscribe to so when you build assemblies to share everyone is using the same part.

As a early SolidWorks user the ability to share assemblies with fasteners or other common parts became a joke. My models have different part numbers than yours and a different internal ID for the parts so the mates would corrupt when you exchanged parts to make the model have your part numbers in the BOM for assembly or manuals.

I hope there is an easy way to create product manuals to post to the company website.

I hope there is a way to set my companies user preferences for parts, assemblies, drawing pages and web page manuals.

I hope there will be a way to track details about the items that is better than file properties in SolidWorks.

I hope there will be a way to find items better than search. I currently manage about 30,000 SolidWorks files with a semi-significant part numbering method to find items. It works OK on my desk top with SolidWorks. A better system that is part of the Onshape subscription will be required for collaboration when you get over several hundred files to manage.
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    Ed_Danzer said:
    I hope there is a standard parts library that you can subscribe to so when you build assemblies to share everyone is using the same part.

As a early SolidWorks user the ability to share assemblies with fasteners or other common parts became a joke. My models have different part numbers than yours and a different internal ID for the parts so the mates would corrupt when you exchanged parts to make the model have your part numbers in the BOM for assembly or manuals.

I hope there is an easy way to create product manuals to post to the company website.

I hope there is a way to set my companies user preferences for parts, assemblies, drawing pages and web page manuals.

I hope there will be a way to track details about the items that is better than file properties in SolidWorks.

I hope there will be a way to find items better than search. I currently manage about 30,000 SolidWorks files with a semi-significant part numbering method to find items. It works OK on my desk top with SolidWorks. A better system that is part of the Onshape subscription will be required for collaboration when you get over several hundred files to manage.
    @Ed_Danzer  Great points, I am so looking for these thing to work well in Onshape. Great chance when starting from scratch to sort issues. I think the cloud has also changed things again with easy access to vendor parts but internal id's, meta properties will need new tools to handle new work flows. 
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • jon_hirschtickjon_hirschtick Onshape Employees Posts: 91
    Jon,

Believe me -- I have Onshape dreams too -- have had 'em for a long time :-)

The "collaborate with yourself" mode, whether in separate browser windows or on two devices at once, is definitely gaining traction and is a pretty cool use mode for Onshape.  We tried to consider it when designing Onshape.

Ed,

I do believe we will have nice ways to manage parts libraries and to find particular items.  So much to do!

Jon