Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Using faces

andrew_kleinertandrew_kleinert Member Posts: 47 PRO
I'm trying to create a sketch that's based partly on a 'use' of a complex face.

I'm being a bit lazy, so rather than 'use' just the vertices I need of the face, I've instead 'use' the entire face, then deleted the vertices  that I don't need.  I've then added to the sketch as needed.  My sketch is definitely enclosed (see below), but Onshape doesn't recognise that my sketch is enclosed.  As far as I can tell, Onshape still seems to be treating areas contained within deleted vertices as still being part of the sketch. 

Seems I've found out the hard way that 'use' of a face does more than be a shortcut to uses all the vertices of that face.   

Comments

• Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,421
    Hi Andrew, did you use the face as the sketch plane? If so, that is why you are seeing the extra shaded area. When you extrude just select the area you want to extrude rather than the whole sketch. 
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    andrew_kleinertandrew_kleinert Member Posts: 47 PRO
    NeilCooke said:
    Hi Andrew, did you use the face as the sketch plane? ...

Yes
    NeilCooke said:
    ... If so, that is why you are seeing the extra shaded area ...
    Aha, thanks!

NeilCooke said:
    When you extrude just select the area you want to extrude rather than the whole sketch. 

I'm confused by this.  Why is the full face of a sketch's plane considered part of the sketch?  Isn't the sketch just the area that is defined by a closed area?

As you can see from the sketch above, the sketch was fully enclosed, however an extrusion from it wouldn't work.  I've deleted the whole sketch and defined it again and this time it worked.