Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Best Practice for creating New Designs

rick_steelerick_steele Member Posts: 1 PRO
I've diving into Onshape as a paid subscriber as of today! I've been watching many videos and tutorials and I'm off to the races.
Question/Scenario:
I started a new document and my first Part to create is a roll of Duct Tape, it has two parts to it. A core and the tape itself.
I started a new Part Studio and have two solid bodies (Parts) built in reference to each other.
Now they need to be assembled.
I then created an assembly and inserted to Part Studio and fixed the core and the mated the Duct Tape with the Fasten Mate and this assembly is done.
How do I want this in the tab area to move forward with the rest of my design?
Do I make a Folder tab named Duct Tape with both the Part Studio and the Duct Tape Roll assembly in it so they can stay together???
Am I heading in the right direction?
Now I'm ready for the next part studio in my document...

Answers

• Options
    mahirmahir Member, Developers Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Modeling your duct tape as an assembly adds an unnecessary level of complication. In the real world the tape and core would never be separated. Is there a reason you need to make them separate parts? I would model them as one solid part and be done with it.

Is your overall assembly going to have any relative motion? If not, it would be simpler to model everything within a part studio - no assembly necessary.

If it does need to be an assembly, and you absolutely have to use separate components, you can organize it however makes sense to you. When you insert the duct tape subassembly into another assembly, you'll be using the same steps whether you have the assembly and part studio in folders or not.
  • Options
    colemancoleman OS Professional Posts: 244 ✭✭✭
    @rick_steele

Great job.  You can use your assembly as a subassembly later on in your design.  

Quick tip- for this application you could use the group command in the assembly instead if the fasten mate.  It's no big deal with two parts but in a larger build where no motion is required- group is faster.  Select all ----> group.  

You can organize your tabs anyway you see fit.  
  • Options
    3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    I think we are still pretty early phase of Onshape and more functionality flows in every few weeks.. Best practices may appear after core feature set changes are rare and millions of professional designs have been done - yet still you can do how ever you like.

We just got tab folders, next I'm waiting for configurations to change my workflow upside down.. 
    //rami