Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Building a Ships hull in parts studio

How do you build a complete ship hull in parts studio from blue prints? I know I can build it using parts studio and assembly studio but I build scale models and have a 3D printer. I have had a lot of fun designing thing and printing them out on my 3D printer. The reason that I need to build an compete hull in parts studio is so I can print out the complete hull in one or two peaces. I think I can build ever thing else on a ship from the propeller to the ships wheel but can't seem to figure out the hull. I have included a picture of one of the models that designed and printed a X-35 Buck Roger/Wilma Deering Ray Gun

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    øyvind_kaurstadøyvind_kaurstad Member Posts: 234 ✭✭✭
    Sketching cross section profiles and guidelines and then lofting is the way to go, I'd guess.
    Ensure that your guidelines are properly constrained to the profile sketches.

• Options
    ronald_lakeronald_lake Member Posts: 6
    Thanks oyvind_kaurstad & noa our comments were helpful and I will keep playing with it till I figure it out. Here is the plan I am using.
  • Options
    noanoa Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 141
    @ronald_lake keep in mind that you can import that image into your document and trace it out. a common workflow is to import your different views on separate planes, use splines to trace out the curves, then loft between them. Here's a video on how to import the image into your sketch.
    Noa Flaherty / Customer Success / Onshape Inc.
  • Options
    scott_lurtonscott_lurton Member Posts: 7 PRO
    So I tried doing this very thing however if the drawing is not detailed enough you will have inaccurate spline drawings which will cause lumps or humps in the hull where they should not be.
  • Options
    billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    @ronald_lake I'd bring the sketch in like noa suggested and then scale it to your desired size. One small bit of advise is to use as few control curves as possible to control the hull's shape. I fear that if you follow the drawing, you'll end up with waves on the surface. Use the magnitude vectors to control the shapes of your curves (splines). This is where the word 'spline' came from. Controlling the curvature of a ship's hull. Hanging weights on strips of wood called splines.

Has to work, it's been used for hundreds of years.

• Options
    ronald_lakeronald_lake Member Posts: 6
    Here is a Tug boat that I made printed out on my 3D printer the hull came out great. The Supper Structure not so much I 3d printed it. Trying to talk the wife in letting me get a better printer but she keeps saying no.
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/08cbc0e77b83eb86833cafcb/w/f7b0fdffe793ef12c06b4d3f/e/608c1537b98983e82a38efa3