Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

How do I create a -AN fitting? (as pictured)

dillon_smithdillon_smith Member Posts: 2
edited September 2016 in Community Support
  there are many of these -AN fittings i would like to be able to draw but not sure where to start?
would i just be following the same process as creating a normal thread?

also side note...for NPT how would i make the thread tapered in size like the fitting needs to be?

Answers

• Options
    colemancoleman OS Professional Posts: 244 ✭✭✭
    @dillon_smith  
    For standard fittings it may be best to import them as opposed to modeling from scratch because you are just creating more work for yourself. 

There are a few applications from the app store that will allow you to import standard components in less than 1 minute. 

• Options
    cjdubeacjdubea Member Posts: 3
    Just conversationally there is never a reason to model screw threads. Period.

Yea, I get it and it's really cool, but the computational load of an assembly with more than a couple of these types of things will bring your model to it's knees.

Model threads with the OD as a solid face.

Seriously.

I've got the entire Parker fitting catalog modeled in SWx with configurations. It wasn't difficult and using configurations made it a lot more time efficient.  Create the original model and then fill in the dimensions on all the various configurations. Not having configurations available would make this a VERY time consuming process to do from scratch.
  • Options
    SquidLordSquidLord Member Posts: 15 ✭✭
    Except for we folks who are actually using the threads we model. On both sides.

Not everyone is designing things made from other folks' bits, or that even exist. I suppose one could limit yourself to poking holes in things but I have a few other bits that need making.

(Or, more succinctly, any time you ever say "there is never", you're wrong. Hideously.)
  • Options
    brian_bradybrian_brady Member, Developers Posts: 505 EDU
    SquidLord said:
    Except for we folks who are actually using the threads we model. On both sides.

Not everyone is designing things made from other folks' bits, or that even exist. I suppose one could limit yourself to poking holes in things but I have a few other bits that need making.

(Or, more succinctly, any time you ever say "there is never", you're wrong. Hideously.)
    I agree. I tell my students that standard tapped holes and screws/bolts don't typically need to be modeled with threads. But if the item you are designing has threads as a major feature and/or they are not standard, then you should include them. For example, if you are designing a collet-type work holding system that has a large thread and nut as primary features. I would like to see those in the model.

Never is a long time.
  • Options
    3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    Or if you're planning to 3d print the item, you probably need the threads too..

Or if you create assembly instructions you need something similar to thread to make difference to a pin..

Currently mcads are used in so wide area that it is not possible to tell THE rules that applies for everyone.
    //rami