Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Surfacing desing

Hello every one,

I'm juste on a design for a customer and looking to merge some surface together.
I have try with boolean tools but it didn't work.

After that, I looking for the tool to make the part full and solid.

Somebody can help me?
Thank you.

Comments

• Options
    michał_1michał_1 Member, Developers Posts: 214 ✭✭✭
    Try to build solid body with similar topology and then use Replace Face. Just like in this model: https://cad.onshape.com/documents/56c2f121e4b0aa6155bc2015/w/51d4d744b30ec85072a9fd0c
  • Options
    dylan_de_crignisdylan_de_crignis Member Posts: 2 PRO
    Thank you for your help but it didn't work. I have a part with only surfacing element. The part is complex and some surface are missing. I have to rebuild them and solidify the part. Have you an Idea?
  • Options
    noanoa Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 141
    Hi @dylan_de_crignis you can create the missing surfaces in the normal fashion by selecting Surface on extrude, revolve, loft, etc. and selecting sketch elements. Then, when you have all your surfaces, you can use the Thicken tool to make them solids (make sure to thicken inwards). Then use Boolean Union to make one whole solid, which is hollow in the middle. You can use Delete Face to delete the interior faces of the hollow solid (use section view so that you can see and select them). You will then have a complete solid. You may need to use delete face on some of the surface intersections if they form acute angles and thicken creates protruding corners. This is a valid workaround as there is no (as of now) "knit" tool or similar. Here is an example: https://cad.onshape.com/documents/a52aed482629449d230bb7f4/w/c416315163eb28ec260200f0/e/b0f72e19a5173a1ae859c2a2

Noa Flaherty / Customer Success / Onshape Inc.
  • Options
    matthew_oliver578matthew_oliver578 Member Posts: 5 PRO
    Hi Noa 

How long do you think it will be until there will be a solidify tool for surfacing? 

Many thanks,
  • Options
    brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    Hi Dylan, it sounds like your doing some neat surfacing work, with the tools that have been coming on board over the last few releases we are now starting to be able to create some pretty cool stuff. I too would like some form of knit tool to produce a solid but I am going to wait patiently for the Onshape team to come up with something really awesome and very robust here. 

You can get some surfaces to add if you are creating them off the edge of the existing surface but I find this to be hard to achieve. Looking forward to more improvements in this space.

Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • Options
    elifelif Onshape Employees Posts: 50
    @brucebartlett - when you say you "find this to be hard to achieve", do you mean it does not fit your workflow, or that surfaces just don't join when you expect them to?
    Team Lead, Part Studios
  • Options
    brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    elif said:
    @brucebartlett - when you say you "find this to be hard to achieve", do you mean it does not fit your workflow, or that surfaces just don't join when you expect them to?

the surfaces don't join when I expect them to, sometimes it is because I select a sketch instead of a surface edge and you still can not extrude the edge of a surface from what I can see. Hope that helps, I am not a big surface user yet.
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • Options
    elifelif Onshape Employees Posts: 50
    Thanks @brucebartlett . We'll look into it.
    Team Lead, Part Studios