Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Is there a maximum file size which OnShape can import?

I currently have a free account but am considering upgrading, and one task would be processing data which originates as a point cloud and is large and detailed (typically a few GB).
I appreciate that this would only be possible in a paid-for licence on a network with good bandwidth, but is there any absolute maximum, or practical limit (e.g. processing time would be too slow to provide effective real-time graphics, or the size of data that is required to be held in the client browser)?
Tagged:

Answers

• viruviru Member, Developers Posts: 619 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2016
    @andrew_spalding, If your current document is a 1st document and it is private document and you are importing any data then maximum limit will be 100MB.
    If your current document is a 1st document and you are making this as a public document and importing then maximum limit will be 5GB.
    Kindly refer below information for more detail,
    The Onshape Free subscription allows you to create up to 10 private documents (using up to 100MB storage) and unlimited public documents up to a total of 5GB storage space. Note that private documents shared with you count toward your private document limit but are not included in your storage space limit. (Public documents directly shared with another user do not count towards limits.)
    If you exceed the 10 document limit (and are still under the storage limit), you will be prevented from creating more private documents, but you may still access and edit the documents you have created.
    If you exceed the 100MB storage limit for private documents, you will be prevented from creating more private documents, and also prevented from editing the documents you have already created. Your private documents become View only. Documents shared with you at this point will appear in the list on your Documents page, also in View only mode.
    To free-up space so you can edit documents, you can:
    • Move a private document to Trash, and then empty it from Trash
    • Unshare yourself from a shared document (note that you will no longer have access to it unless it is re-shared with you)
    • Make a private document public, thereby giving all Onshape users view-only and copy permissions to it

• owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Sorry guys, I believe the original poster was asking a different question to the one answered.

I believe the intent was:-
    Assuming we have a paid subscription (so there is no storage cap) then is there a effective file size limit governed by performance of server / browser / graphics card / bandwidth etc. or will OS cope with anything we care to throw at it?

Cheers,
    Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    edited October 2016
    @andrew_spalding Sorry I misread this my first time through... The limit for uploads today is 1GB.  A Professional account will give you unlimited storage but the upload size will still be 1 GB.  As far as performance there are a number of factors that can contribute to performance... server side and client side.   Your connection and local hardware do play important roles although you can do work with less local power locally then traditional systems, the GPU still plays a role in local performance (rotate, zoom).   Depending on the structure of a document and associated Part Studios and Assemblies, there are approaches like reducing degrees of freedom and utilizing linked documents that can also help boost performance.  If you have specifics let us know.
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.