Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Human Model Feature Script

brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
I'd love a 98 percentile human model that could be configured/set into various positions. I think it was mentioned here on this forum some time ago that Catia had something like this.

Has this been done?

This maybe something someone could tackle with FS. Beyond me but I'd defiantly use this if available.

@dave_cowden what do you think?

Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
Tagged:

Comments

• dave_cowdendave_cowden Member, Developers Posts: 470 ✭✭✭
    Hi @brucebartlett
    Interesting idea!

Based on what I know, this would be quite difficult to do in 'pure FS' given Onshape's current capabilities. ( By pure FS, i mean code that directly generates a human figure ). This is because OS has relatively poor surfacing capabilities. It is currently impossible to create a solid by first defining the surfaces, and then making a solid using stiching.

How many positions are there? Were I to attempt this with FS at this moment, my first strategy would be to get STEP/STL models in all of the different positions, and then write an FS to automatically import those.

That strategy would fail if there were a large number of positions. In that case, i might write an Onshape app instead of a FS-- which I think could also do the job.  But I came away from my most recent experience with writing Onshape apps with the 'its not quite ready for prime time' conclusion.

I have seen several conversations in which people are after an easier insert one of a family of solid objects with less effort than doing it by hand.