Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Internet Explorer

_Ðave__Ðave_ Member, Developers Posts: 712 ✭✭✭✭

I work for an aerospace manufacturer and for security reasoning they will only allow Internet Explorer to be used. I'm sure this is quite common. Is this something that will be supported any time soon.

Thanks

_Ðave_

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    brian_bradybrian_brady Member, Developers Posts: 505 EDU
    Is the idea behind the company's decision that they want LESS SECURITY? If so, then Explorer makes sense.
  • Options
    I believe that is easier for them to control what the employees have access to on the web. I'm just guessing as I have nothing to do with those decisions neither do I have any in depth knowledge on the subject. I'm just trying to find a way to use Onshape at work and the only way from there perspective  is that it needs to function within Internet Explorer. 
  • Options
    brian_bradybrian_brady Member, Developers Posts: 505 EDU
    The issue is likely that IE is not very standards compliant, so Onshape code would need to have differences for users of IE than for other users. 
  • Options
    lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    I can say that we cannot build support for a browser that Microsoft has retired over two years ago. However we will continue to test Microsoft Edge to try to officially support it. At this point we can only support browsers that are still developed and patched by their manufacturers. 
    May this point there are very few that are Tatum running IE but those that do are mixing to allow some current browser they can validate internally for security purposes. 
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • Options
    edited September 2016

Thanks Lou,

I'll try the angle of how IE has been retired and unsupported and that they should consider updating. I still have an issue with ITAR requirements, will we have a solution for that any time soon.