Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Any relation like Creo?

zhongxuebozhongxuebo Member Posts: 4
edited September 2016 in Community Support
Question about relation.

For example I drew a line A which length is 20mm
Then I drew another line B, but the intent length should be 1/4 of former one. (5mm)
So later I can just change dimension A then update B automatically.

I already find some solution using variable, but that's not so flexible.
Maybe that's OK for simple model, but not so good for complex model.

Thanks!

Answers

• Options
    viruviru Member, Developers Posts: 619 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2016
    @zhongxuebo, I used variable in dimensions and expressions for many big model but till time i haven't faced any issue in single document. Kindly refer below example steps for more detail.
    Using the variable in a dimension
    1. Begin creating a dimension as usual.
    2. In the dimension field, enter # and the variable name (and optionally, as part of an expression (as shown below):

and

3. When you save the dimension, the variable is replaced with the value and the expression (if applicable) is solved.

4. When you double-click the dimension for editing, the variable (and expression) is displayed:

In below video I have taken your example and changing value it won't create problem when changing.

If you need variable act like creo relation then raise a improvement request for that. In near future we hope that this facility will be provided by Onshape.