Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Top down design

I am just starting to change from solidworks. One thing I found very useful in SW was the ability to create parts within the assembly model. Is this function available in Onshape

Answers

• Options
    mahirmahir Member, Developers Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Strictly speaking, Onshape won't let you create parts in an assembly, but you can still get the functionality you're looking for. Assemblies and parts work a little different in Onshape. The default design process in OS is similar to the master model method in SW. You design all your parts in a single multi-body part studio. And if you don't have any need for relative motion between parts, you don't even need to create an assembly. So, by default all your parts are created "in context" to your other assembled parts. You can also create a separate part studio for each component and then assemble them, but that defeats the purpose of OS's natural workflow. I hope that helps wrap your brain around how OS works.
  • Options
    3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    In addition to @mahir 's descriptive answer if you work with imported assembly, you can use 'flatten' during import to get everything into single part studio.

In future I'm sure we will see part creation / editing in assembly context also but it is not here yet.
    //rami