Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Intelligent copying possible?

Josy_LaJosy_La Member Posts: 82 ✭✭
Does Onshape have a data management system or external app that could allow for intelligent copying similar to Autodesk Vault Copy-Design.

Comments

• Options
    lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    @Josy_La You can copy the workspace today.  Can you describe what you mean by an intelligent copy?  When you copy a workspace, all native data in that document will be a true copy and no longer talks to the original.  However if that document is using linked documents, only the native data will be unlinked and all the document links will remain pointing the those document's versions.  
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • Options
    We are still investigating if Onshape is able to meet our needs or how we can work differently to attain a similar goal.

I was trying to create adaptable parts outside the copy command. We use shapes that have the same profile but with different lengths. This part is intelligent in a way that the length parameter is either table driven or by selecting a segment will match it's length. We insert the parent file then choose the appropriate occurrence to place in our assembly. I suppose FeatureScript could be used for that but this is not my specialty.

As far as copying a workspace is there a way to rename the parts automatically vs manually? Since we are always making a copy to meet other conditions; parts will follow a precise naming convention. We are looking for automatization to reduce risk of human errors.
  • Options
    lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    @Josy_La  This is configurations or variants of a seed part.  We are working on the ability to do this.  I will add you to the request.
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • Options
    Thanks. Will be awaiting this feature.