Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Best modelling workflow for multi-part

Josy_LaJosy_La Member Posts: 82 ✭✭
I am custom to Inventor and SolidWorks, both software are use differently to obtain an ideal workflow for multi part assemblies. Of course there are other ways to use these platforms. Outside Featurescript what would be the best workflow in OS to create adaptable static models?

We are presently using a skeletal modelling technique to create our multi-parts assemblies. But I've also worked with a different approach using a wire and generic parts library that can be stretch and applied onto that wire to generate the multi-part assembly. In my OS investigation the skeletal method seems to work fine but did not have success with the other approach.

If your manufacturing process is similar and you do not utilize FS how do you use OS?

Thanks for sharing.

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    Josy_LaJosy_La Member Posts: 82 ✭✭
    I have to use the assembly tab to create sub-assembly groups. Can I have groups within one big group to prevent mating all the parts?
  • Options
    TimRiceTimRice Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 315
    @3dcad was getting there, but essentially the Part Studio is where all of you components are constructed for your entire assembly. The Assembly Tab is then used to check motion and relationships between parts. This requires a different mindset, especially when comparing Onshape to other programs like Solidworks. In Onshape, you can create all of the parts in the same tab, allowing constraints and feature end conditions to be entirely parametrically controlled by variables and relations between parts. This past summer I CADed a new workbench for my room and I made it entirely parametric. Check out the the document to see how I did it:https://cad.onshape.com/documents/ee1d0f137b1172ea763f1238/w/8091713f81780cc937747308/e/3cc1ec53ea38482f5d85f305
    Tim Rice | User Experience | Support 
    Onshape, Inc.