Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Can anyone tell me how to draw this wheel.

rob_whiterob_white Member Posts: 15 ✭✭

Best Answers

Answers

• Options
    I can revolve the spoke section bu can not work out how to remove the cutout sections as they are not on a plain but a cone.
    Also can not work out how to apply the webs.

Thanks in advance
  • Options
    jason_bennett190jason_bennett190 Member, Developers Posts: 17
    Have you tried drawing sections of A-A and revolving however many degrees are required to make a cutting tool, then do a boolean subtraction?.
  • Options
    Thanks Mahir,

I have got this far, see link

I can not see how to draw the "triangle" (extrude cut) as the disk is actually a cone.

Thanks for your help so far.
  • Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,417
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    I have now managed to draw the extrude remove but can not do a circular pattern on the feature! 
    Anyone know a work around? Other than draw it 8 times!
  • Options
    mahirmahir Member, Developers Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2016
    @rob_white, the main body is conical, but the triangular hole is just a simple linear extrude. Draw the triangle sketch on either a plane perpendicular to the center axis or on the flat upper/lower edge of the wheel. Once that's done you should be able to circular pattern the extruded cut around the center axis. You can select the outer surface of the wheel as the pattern axis. 

Seems like you're new to 3D CAD. OS has some good tutorials. I would go through those. They're much more explicit. 
  • Options
    mahirmahir Member, Developers Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's another model to look at. Although, Neil's looks better since the rib radii would be cut on a lath, not thickened linearly.

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/57acdfaae4b005c413ed9b6f/w/3fd585a46d3af1b3ba413c53/e/900941813cb19e709ef9c759
  • Options

Here's the finished articles, The larger grey one thanks to Paul.

My main problem was with the circular pattern tool! I did not see the top drop down to change from replicating a part or feature it being above the New, Add remove .... options and also I had not realized that you could specify the axis from a circle (the rim).

Hope this helps someone.
  • Options
    srbhsrbh Member Posts: 19 ✭✭
    Dear Rob,

I'm building a 2" scale Steam Traction Engine from imperial plans as well.

What are you building?

Regards
  • Options
    Atkinson 3" scale 'Standard' 6 ton truck
  • Options
    owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    edited October 2016
    rob_white said:
     I am converting the design to metric.

Hi @rob_white, you're probably well aware of this but if not OS is perfectly happy to work in metric / imperial or both units at the same time and do all the conversions for you.

For example if you have your default units set metric, you can still enter "1/8 inch" into a dimension field and OS will work out the conversion.  It can also use expressions so you could enter "(3 * 7/8 inch) + 10mm" as a dimension.

I imagine NASA may have found this useful when designing Mars landers...

Regards,
    Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • Options
    Yes thanks I was aware. I have opted to do all conversions/roundings in a spreadsheet for various reasons.