Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

catia

i want to learn catia in on shape,is catia available ?

Comments

• Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,394
    edited October 2016
    CATIA is a product from Dassault Systemes and has no affiliation with Onshape - it also costs upwards of $10K and takes months to learn.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    OpenR2OpenR2 OS Professional Posts: 188 ✭✭✭
    I would not quite down play other vendors just quite yet.

I've been using OnShape for over a year and have yet to be able to output the project I purchased it for. OnShape support can back me on this....every day that attempt to use OnShape for something...I open 3 bug reports and then I'm stopped dead in my tracks until the next update.
  • Options
    CATIA is a fantastic product, I was merely stating the fact that it is expensive and difficult to use. 

I am surprised to hear you are having so many problems with Onshape. I use it all day every day and rarely have any issues. Are all of the bug reports you raise related to the software not working, or are they related to new features you need or help with modelling? If it is the latter I can help you out if you get stuck. 
  • Options
    OpenR2OpenR2 OS Professional Posts: 188 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2016
    Neil

I don't think CATIA is difficult to use. I can use it just as easily as Fusion 360. I actully am having a harder time with OnShape.

Projects are documents. Assembly studio is really just Kinematics. Part studio doesnt have a rich Assembly feature set. Have to go to a 3rd party CAD system to make title blocks for drawings. STL files fail all over the place with no debugging information. Its been a rough ride but I am curious to see how OnShape evolves so I am sticking with it.

My geometry is really simple assembly modeling. The kinematics are really simple. My drawings are really simple.

Seems like I get 80% of the way through each session only to find something that is broken or some basics functionality that doesn't work like CATIA or Fusion360.

I am in the process of submitting another STL bug right now.

What is super frustrating is how much time I spend helping to "write" OnShape. I feel like if I were a business using it for a project that had a fixed budget and schedule, the project would have failed.

I'm going to stick in there though. I think in the long run OnShape is the best delivery mechanism to the maker community.

It would be interesting to try to start over and document each hurdle on going from blueprint to fab on my simple project. May be a great LinkedIn article. Who knows, maybe everything I ran into over the last year is fixed now and this STL stuff is the only current challenge.

• Options
    Hi @OpenR2 - it is true that we are having a few teething problems with STL files failing validation on import and we are working on resolving those soon. However, you do seem to have an inordinate amount of issues and I can't help feeling that a little education for you and a better understanding for us would go a long way to resolving these issues. Why don't we setup a web meeting and review your design process? That way I can help you without having copies of your data. If you are interested, please PM me.