Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

New FeatureScript: Thread Creator

dave_cowdendave_cowden Member, Developers Posts: 470 ✭✭✭
edited October 2016 in FeatureScript
Hi, everyone:

It has been a while, but I've been busily working on a new feature for everyone to try.  

I'm proud to release  ThreadCreator Version 1.0, featuring:
  • Thread Types: ANSI, ISO, ACME, Square, and DIN 103 ( ISO Trapezoidal)
  • Internal and External Threads
  • Multi-start threads for lead screws
  • Left/Right handed threads
  • Thread lead-in to simulate threads created by taps and dies
  • Optional, configurable thread start taper
  • Configurable threaded length, lead-in
  • Intelligent feature naming ( tries to guess a 'nicely formatted' name for your thread )
To create threads, simply provide a cylindrical face that represents the Major Diameter:

You can find the document here

<a href="https://cad.onshape.com/documents/6b640a407d78066bd5e41c7a/w/4693805578a72f40ebfb4ea3/e/7886aa5aee640497f4eb6265">https://cad.onshape.com/documents/6b640a407d78066bd5e41c7a/w/4693805578a72f40ebfb4ea3/e/7886aa5aee640497f4eb6265</a>

And as always you can find our other features on the store at http://store.parametricparts.com
Enjoy!

Comments

• dave_cowdendave_cowden Member, Developers Posts: 470 ✭✭✭
    @henry_feldman Per your request, finally a thread creator!
  • lni64lni64 OS Professional Posts: 38 ✭✭
    Hi Dave,
    could be very usefull for 3d printed parts.

Following observations:

1. I tried to make a M6 Bolt (supposed to be D=6mm, 1mm pitch). It complains about not being able to generate the part. 0.99mm Pitch works.
    2. I might be wrong but the generated thread looks strange to me. Shouldn't the flat regions at the "bottom" of the thread be "rounded" (see picture at the bottom)?  I wonder if the thread would really work if printed....

Hi, thanks for the comment s!

I will look into the boundary issue with d=1.0mm

Yes, I think you are right About the rounded bottom. I will fix that also
    Are inner threads not working?
    They should be-- I didnt to tons of tests, but I did a few. What scenario isnt working for you and i'll have a look.  To do inner threads, you just need to select a face that has inward curvature. See "Internal" tab for an example
    Here my document: https://cad.onshape.com/documents/6c949ebe4b8986326d1dcefe/w/2062cf16588de677b9d64be7/e/4872d494c9d4636adc937f9b

The nut doesn't show any thread, the thread on the bolt is somehow upside down (the taper is placed in the middle of the bolt) looks like some problem with orientation of the planes.

ok thanks for the sample, i'll look into this!
    Hi, Thanks for the link. I do not understand the problem at all, but  I can duplicate them thanks to your examples so i will get those working. These look very similar to the examples I used, so i'm surprised they do not work, but i'll figure it out!
    Hi, Everyone!  

I'm sorry for a lower-than-I-would-like initial stab at this, but after a complete re-work, version 2.0 is available!

Fixes in this version include:

• Thread profiles are now correct-- including the internal radii 
    • The feature now updates correctly when you change the diameter
    • Fixed bug where sometimes the threads were not working ( this was due to some bad assumptions about cylinder coordinate systems )
    • Improved performance
    • Fixed issue where sometimes material would be removed when it should not
    • Fixed issue with lead-in length with multiple starts.
    Thanks @lutz_niggl @neil_cooke048  for the testing! 

Please let me know of additional issues!

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/6b640a407d78066bd5e41c7a/w/4693805578a72f40ebfb4ea3/e/f8aea9e5c33e02eab0854a4f

Couldn't resist! Here are a few more pictures

yep, the threads finally mate:

A 1/2", 8-start ACME leadscrew:

edited October 2016
    One more: lenscap: large diameter

Great, tested it and works Ok now for me. Need to print a few parts next week I'll try your feature on a real part then. 
    @lutz_niggl  awesome! looking forward to it!
    Hi, everyone:

I've posted a new version-- please get the latest.
    Thanks go to @henry_feldman  for finding a couple of more issues when creating some nuts.

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/6b640a407d78066bd5e41c7a/w/4693805578a72f40ebfb4ea3/e/c953720c264ce001f1a82dc1
  • Pascoe_DesignPascoe_Design Member Posts: 18 PRO
    Hi, thanks for a great tool! I have just one issue - when i update the sketch diameter that the extrude & the thread was based on, the Feature title (ie M18-2) does not update automatically every time the diameter changes. Can you assist or fix the issue? Many thanks, Stuart
    Hi, @Design_Office
    Yes, i noticed that too. Unfortunately, I cannot seem to solve it-- it appears to be an onshape limitation that the feature name is not re-evaluated after the feature is re-created. I'll post an issue though to see if there is a solution...
  • calvin_stevenscalvin_stevens Member Posts: 1
    Nice work Dave! Very nice tool!
  • LFMLFM Member Posts: 1
    Hi Dave,
    Great tool, thanks for sharing!
    Any plans to include threading to conical faces?
  • PahlPahl Member Posts: 42 ✭✭
    Thanks!
    Why is this not in the App store?
    Hi, @Pahl, thanks for the kind words!

Unless something has changed that i'm not aware of, the app store only contains apps, but this is 'just a featurescript'.  OnShape has not provided a Featurescript store, which is quite unfortunate for chaps like me who are trying to sell them....

@luis_felipe_morales
    Sorry I didnt see your question from back in November-- no plans at the moment to handle conical faces. Just out of curiosity, what's the use case? are you trying to make pipe threads, or ?  I'm not sure i understand how conical threads work.... Is there an applicable spec?
  • PahlPahl Member Posts: 42 ✭✭
    Hi @dave_cowden

Guess I was thinking the apps in the OS store where just featurescripts. I did not realize that they where two different things. Thanks
    @Pahl no problem at all! 
  • theodore_peterstheodore_peters Member Posts: 15
    Dave,

The start taper distance is missing on my end...also when i check the box to taper, it reverts me back to a cylinder.
    Also, the threads will return when the angle is lowered below 40
    Hi @theodore_peters
    Sorry to hear you are having problems. Can you please share a document with me that demonstrates the problem? I'm unable to duplicate it in some very basic tests.

I will not have time to look into this in the next few days, but i'll add it to my list to research....
    Is it because of the imported part from SolidParts?
    edited February 2017
    Hi, no it isnt due to the import. it looks like it has something to do with the fairly extreme pitch you have. 1/12 is pretty course for a screw this diameter.  For example, the taper worked find when i changed pitch to 1/32 the taper works ok. 

I think that the geometry is degenerating with the taper and the 0.083 pitch. not sure why really. 

as a work around, you might need to add the taper yourself.
  • ruwen_gastrockruwen_gastrock Member Posts: 1
    It would be cool if you could implement an option to set the internal and external thread-thickness.
    Because in some print's the threads will not fit together, the print pressure increases the thickness of thread parts.
  • DscheyDschey Member Posts: 8 ✭✭
    @henry_feldman Per your request, finally a thread creator!
    Hi Dave. My sincere kudos to you for creating this fantastic feature script. Tried it only today. Works great! Many thanks for sharing it / making it available for all Onshape users.