Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Union (Boolean) or Group of separated Parts (Part Studio)

mlml Member Posts: 53 PRO
I've learned, that mating in Part Studio is very powerful because sketches, boolean etc are available and I do not need moved animation anyway.

When importing an electronic board which is stripped down to the only needed connectors (due to performance), it may looks like:

Now I want to mate this as a whole into a housing and look where are the cut outs there for the connectors. and take advantage of the boolean-subtract to cut out in relation of mating automatically instead measuring out.

If unioning this 5 parts, only two, the board and one troughole connector are merged (green). It makes absolutely sense as 'union' means. The other parts do not have any connection to the board.

Is there a way to hold them into one part for mating?
group is only in assembly
exporting to parasolid or step and reimporting leads to the same separate parts (logically)
no fix command - anyway would this only help if there is not another separate part to mate

no way and pierce together ?

thanks for any help

Answers

• Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,417
    The best you can do in this scenario is to use Move Face (or extrude a connecting solid) on the bottom of each connector until it intersects the board, then use boolean.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    DavidvanderMeerDavidvanderMeer Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
    edited October 2016
    I agree it would be useful to have an option to set insert a part studio as a 'weldment' assembly into another assembly.

Quite a few of the designs I deal with are weldments which I could use as-is, and would like to insert a part studio and all its components into another assembly and behave as a single unit, i.e. an assembly.
    A workaround for me is to create a sub-assembly of the part studio, group those, then insert the sub-assembly into the higher level. This creates an additional assembly that would have the same part number as I would have given the part studio. It's just another tab to clutter the document that I'd rather do without.

On a somewhat related note, this would work even better for me I had the ability to create linear/circular part patterns (perhaps even part mirroring?), without the operation leading to additional parts, but just reusing the part.