Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Private Document Showing!!

BerndBernd Member Posts: 18 PRO
Does this really happen? Thats absolutely basic and a 'no go' especially for business use. 
Onshape support -> Could you please give a statement?

Comments

• Options
    lanalana Onshape Employees Posts: 696
    @bernd Could you please file an issue via feedback mechanism from the document you noticed a problem with and explain what is the problem. Thank you.
  • Options
    Personally I do not have this problem. But I would like to know if this could happen. It is an important topic if you want to use Onshape for business. If the datas are free in the web for everybody then Onshape is not a program for business clients. How can I convience customers that Onshape is the best program for their needs if there is not a clear answer to secure datas? Thats my fear.
  • Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,395
    Hi @Bernd

Professional Plan users have unlimited private documents. By default, all new Documents are private and can only be seen by you. You can share a Document with others by entering their email addresses and specify whether they can edit, copy, or share the Document and you can revoke all permissions at any time, making it much more secure than traditional file-based CAD systems that rely on email, FTP, and USB sticks for transferring data. Only if you specifically set a Document as Public can it be seen by others. Rest assured, data security is our highest priority and we have many large corporations, who take data security very seriously, as customers. For more information please see: https://www.onshape.com/security

Hope this answers your question and allays any fears.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    Thats good to hear (read)! I was unsecure because of the posts of other users. I got the impression that their private documents were suddenly puplic.
  • Options
    philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    To be clear - Onshape will never make a private document public - only the owner can do that!

To be clear - Onshape will never make a private document public - only the owner can do that!

:)
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • Options
    Thanks for clarification. Sorry for the wrong interpretation of the posts.
  • Options
    BLeeVNBLeeVN Member Posts: 18 PRO
    In the Document Share options if you allow Copying the Business Document can easily be copied into the Public Domain.
  • Options
    philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    @blee@avalonbattery.com - Yes, if you explicitly give 'Share' permission or 'Copy' permission to a third party then that person could either make the Document public or make a copy and then make the copy public.
    If you do not trust someone, do not give them these permissions.
    This is STILL 100x more secure than emailing files that you have no control over once you hit 'send'.
    Thats said, we are always open to ideas on how to make Onshape even more secure.
    Please feel free to ask any additional questions.
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • Options
    BLeeVNBLeeVN Member Posts: 18 PRO
    I recommend setting the Default for the Share options all to NOT checked and actively have User one by one enable the Share Option.  The problem is New Users can easily get confused between business professional plan and the public domain (I have seen it first hand).