Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Part Rotation Video

Good afternoon,

I'd like to make a video of my part files rotating about an axis. How would I do that?

Answers

• Options
    TimRiceTimRice Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 315
    While Onshape currently does not have any built in screen recording functions, there are plenty of other PC and Mac applications that will record your screen. From experience, I would suggest trying Camtasia. They offer a free trial that should get you what you need if you only need it for one project. Once you start the screen recording, you can then pan/zoom the Onshape workspace as you desire. I have used this technique to great effect, though it does require a bit of work.
    Tim Rice | User Experience | Support 
    Onshape, Inc.
  • Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,381
    If it's a turntable type effect you are after, create an assembly with a mate connector at the origin and assemble your parts to that with a revolute mate, then right click the mate in the tree and select animate. 
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    al_griego190al_griego190 Member Posts: 2
    I need a turntable type of video for individual models. I'm using the software on a laptop with a mouse, no spaceball. I was hoping there was something I could do in the software.

Thanks.
  • Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,381
    You can, using the assembly technique I outlined above - but to output video, you will need to use screen capture software. We use Camtasia for our videos.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    brian_bradybrian_brady Member, Developers Posts: 505 EDU
    Take a look at this document and see if it is what you want:

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/35b93753f8c84dc6cc401ae7/w/4c0099a82b74b92acf4ffcba/e/8a6bc04567c5e36cf0a6cb9e

I created a base part that is fixed and the part I wanted to spin. Brought both into an Assembly Studio. Both parts have Mate connectors attached in the Part Studio. I used a Revolute Mate with the two connectors. Right click on the revolute mate in the list and select animate. Start recording your screen with whatever you have to capture the motion.