Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

How to make a circular pattern of a revolve?

to_cato_ca Member Posts: 13
I am trying to create an enclosed gear to hold a beaded cord. I can create a cylinder with a single semisphere cut out. I then saw the circular pattern feature, which seemed perfect. However when I use it it seems to go wrong. The first time I used 'new' which just created a shape inside a shape of course. Now I'm trying to use 'remove', but now I get an error.

My document is here

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    bradley_saulnbradley_sauln Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 373
    Answer ✓
    The way I would approach it is to use the revolve to create the sphere as a new part. Then use the Circular Pattern > remove option. This will cut the sphere into the cylinder and even get rid of it for you after the action is complete: https://cad.onshape.com/documents/6df6eb576dc7b1e5066caa73/w/899142034f3ca7ead9d915ae/e/a7fe6ae67d6600e71f9b0cd6
    Engineer | Adventurer | Tinkerer
    Twitter: @bradleysauln

• Options
    ilya_baranilya_baran Onshape Employees, Developers, HDM Posts: 1,176
    The other option is to do a face pattern instead of a part pattern.
    Ilya Baran \ VP, Architecture and FeatureScript \ Onshape Inc
  • Options
    mahirmahir Member, Developers Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Or yet another method, use a feature pattern to pattern the revolve cut feature.
  • Options
    ilya_baranilya_baran Onshape Employees, Developers, HDM Posts: 1,176
    @mahir
    That will work, but feature patterns take longer to regenerate than part or face patterns (because they reapply the features, not just replicate the geometry).
    Ilya Baran \ VP, Architecture and FeatureScript \ Onshape Inc
  • Options
    to_cato_ca Member Posts: 13
    The way I would approach it is to use the revolve to create the sphere as a new part. Then use the Circular Pattern > remove option. This will cut the sphere into the cylinder and even get rid of it for you after the action is complete: https://cad.onshape.com/documents/6df6eb576dc7b1e5066caa73/w/899142034f3ca7ead9d915ae/e/a7fe6ae67d6600e71f9b0cd6
    Thanks Bradley, this is what I did. I created a single sphere and then when I used the repeat I did it with remove. I was a bit confused conceptually because I assumed the the circular repeat would repeat the removal, but I think what it did was repeat the shape inside the original shape, leading to confusing results.