Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Exclude items from BOM

brian_ruppbrian_rupp OS Professional Posts: 13 PRO
Can you make a checkbox in the part properties to say "exclude from BOM".  For example if I insert a STP file or any sub assembly with many parts, all of the parts are listed in the bom and I only want the entire sub assembly part number to show. 
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    edited October 2016
    No check box that I know of. I believe what your after is a nested or indent BOM which can not be done yet, I have request this as option. At the moment I have been using the google sheets app and manually building BOM's out in various tabs to get what I require, the top levels is done by linking to the lower level sheets. Another option is OpenBoM they maybe getting close to achieving nesting, I am sure oleg_shilovitsky could fill us in on that . 

Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • Options
    oleg_shilovitskyoleg_shilovitsky Member, Developers Posts: 131 PRO
    edited January 2017
    @brian_rupp
    @brucebartlett

Sorry, somehow I missed that message. Thanks @stevehess for forwarding! 

There is no such thing "exclude from BOM" for the moment. However, all suppressed parts will be excluded from the BOM.

The easiest way to do it is to have Part custom property for that purpose. I hope soon it will happen. Nested BOM is another way to hide parts from a BOM. 

We are very close to support nested BOM in openBoM and Onshape. In coming openBoM update (this weekend), you will see the first version of multi-level BOM view. It is still WIP, but you will have an idea about next steps. You can expect nested BOM generated from Onshape already in February production update. 

I can get on call and demo / explain. 

• Options
    brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • Options
    @brucebartlett

Thanks for your feedback!

The latest openBoM update is in production, so you can try few important improvements we made (eg. links back to Onshape from openBoM and geometric size feature improvement ( we now automatically arrange it as L, W, T even it is oriented differently in part studio. 

Multi-level BOM and info-panel view is there there. Even we are not building it automatically, it can give you some idea to experiment with info-panel view. 

More things will be coming next month.

• Options
    CyberphilCyberphil Member Posts: 7 EDU
    edited January 2020
    I believe this functionality now exists in stock OS, at least based on this tech tip:

https://www.onshape.com/cad-blog/tech-tip-excluding-parts-or-assemblies-from-the-bom-in-onshape

I can't seem to achieve this in my models though. The only option that shows up on rclick is expand assembly. Is this a subscription feature only?

Edit: It seems as if the exclude from BOM works fine for most things, but it seems to be unavailable for some linked assemblies for whatever reason. 
  • Options
    @Cyberphil this is a really old thread. A lot of things changed in OpenBOM and Onshape since that time. 

In OpenBOM you can get Exclude from BOM and filter it in user-defined view or just filters. It is very flexible and convenient.

OpenBOM template defines what data you will see in the grid. 

If you have questions, please contact support@openbom.com.  

• Options
    CyberphilCyberphil Member Posts: 7 EDU
    Thanks you very much! I'll give it a try!
  • Options
    MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    @Cyberphil

As you can see, that is a sub assembly of a linked sub-assembly.
    To exclude it from the BOM, you will need to open the sub-assembly a level above that and exclude it from there, then create a version.
    mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
  • Options
    mthiesmeyermthiesmeyer Onshape Employees Posts: 115
    @Cyberphil

Based on the grey highlight, it appears that you don't have edit access to the metadata of that assembly. Currently, the `Exclude from bom` status is persisted to the metadata of a part or assembly and applies to all instances of that object. If you do not have edit permission you will be unable to exclude as of today. Please create an improvement request (or find an existing one) to have `Exclude from bom` apply on a per-assembly basis.