Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

How to make a simple mate between 2 rods and a support?

trenton_carrtrenton_carr Member Posts: 18
Hi
I'm trying to mate 2 holes in a support bar to 2 rods but it refuses to mate.
I've made revolute mate to the 1st rod and after that I cannot get any other mate to work to match up the 2nd rod.
Assembly works fine in SW and Creo. The shaft is not connected in any way.
Hole and rod centres are exact.

Any assistance please?

Thanks.

Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    lni64lni64 OS Professional Posts: 38 ✭✭
    If the support bar is supposed to be movable in z I'd use two cylindrical mates. If it is to be fixed in z I'd use one cylindrcal and one rotational mate. Using two rotational mates can easily lead to overdefined mates since both will try to fix z.
  • Options
    bradley_saulnbradley_sauln Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 373
    In addition to @lutz_niggl I want to take a step back to make sure that you understand how our mates work. They are fundamentally different from SW and Creo. For more information on how mates in Onshape work you can look here: https://cad.onshape.com/help/#mate.htm?TocPath=Assemblies|Mates|_____0
    Engineer | Adventurer | Tinkerer
    Twitter: @bradleysauln

• Options
    If the support bar is supposed to be movable in z I'd use two cylindrical mates. If it is to be fixed in z I'd use one cylindrcal and one rotational mate. Using two rotational mates can easily lead to overdefined mates since both will try to fix z.
    Support bar is not movable and I've tried all the mates as stated in OP.

I cannot seem to find the reason.

• Options
    If you can give me access to your document I can have a look at it. It should be really simple to fix.
    If sharing is not an option you can have a look here: https://cad.onshape.com/documents/162727ed93bbb391c1a00286/w/bea92ea5a9b177b871e64254/e/3b3d41d0cd19f0609e611aa7
  • Options
    @trenton_carr unfortunately I have to leave for a couple of hours. If nobody else is helping you meanwhile I'll have a look later. 
  • Options
    michael3424michael3424 Member Posts: 678 ✭✭✭✭
    Is the center distance between the outer holes in the gimbal the same as the distance between the studs (Part 1)?  They look a little off to me.
  • Options
    @lutz_niggl Thanks

@michael3424 Yes perfectly equal dimensionally. Assembles fine in SW and creo.   
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    @trenton_carr:  I can reproduce your problems with mating the support bar to the rods. @michael3424 is correct, the distances of the holes in the motor do not exactly match the distance of the holes in the bar. (Looks like the deviation is smaller than the displayed accuracy)

To check this I redesigned the support bar with the correct distance (sqrt(2)*31mm). This bar can then be mated to the rods without any issue. The red bar is the new one, the gray is the original bar. 

Here the corresponding document: 
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/5807ed1a26b0d21143965d65/w/6a102689003bc09d6c2247e6/e/e0d10fe051caea25d2a7b568
  • Options
    Thank you very much for helping find the issue.

I've tried to find the root of the problem so had a look at the source file in Creo.

Accurate to 4 decimal places, I can only assume then that a rounding error happens either during export to parasolid or importing from parasolid.

Either way I cannot spent time remodelling parts that should fit.

Thank you for your help once more.
  • Options
    Quite interesting, I also belive that this is some rounding effect in either the importer or the exporter. Here a screen shot of a distance measurement in Onshape. It shows a small deviation in y direction which is probably the reason for the issue. I think this is something Onshape should have a look at.

• Options
    Could this not have been assembled with a single Fasten mate and an angular offset of 45˚?
    Thanks, this does work, but does not explain the underlying problem.