Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Taking advantage of unlimited space

john_59john_59 Member Posts: 1
Is anyone taking advantage of the unlimited space in Onshape to manage other engineering documentation and assets in a somewhat official capacity.
I'm looking for cloud-based PDM solutions and using Onshape as a storage and management platform is an appealing notion.  My concern is the workflow for handling files that are not Onshape documents.  Is there a streamlined way to upload and synchronize files between onshape and your desktop (excluding Onshape documents, of course)?  Are you able to apply any kind of approval process to the files before sharing them out?  Is there a high-level API where you could create these features if you wanted?

Comments

• Options
    lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    @john_59 I cannot speak directly to what users are doing but storage of files that are centric to a project is definitely a use case and part of the Onshape tabulated document design.  Not only can you store data but you can also keep track of and snap versions of anything inside the document container and ensure it does not get changed.  

Data Sync:
    As far as being able to access files in a document and synchronize them to your local machine, there is not an application that exists today like Dropbox or Google Drive's desktop sync but it is something that you could do with our API.  There would be some interesting implementations to sync all the workspace data with changes and maybe do something else with versions that have been snapped as an archiving tool.  I have prototyped something similar to this just calling our document API to see what it would take to cycle through documents and export them to a local sync.

CM (Control management):
    The short answer is not today.  The longer answer is it would definitely be feasible to build a workflow and control layer on top of our existing version management with the API.  Endpoints to read metadata, permissions and other aspects that would be necessary are all there. It is an ongoing effort to ensure that the Onshape API has the capacity to integrate with as many existing tools and services that manage the process around your data.

The API has been feature 0 for us and will continue to be as we move forward.  Let me know if you have further questions.  ~Lou
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.