Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

How to move an object so that one face of the object snaps to another object's face?

florian_fordflorian_ford Member Posts: 54 ✭✭
edited October 2016 in Community Support
Hi guys,

Coming from SpaceClaim realm, I am so used to the "Up To" feature, where I move the "triade"'s center to a face of the to-be-moved object, then I hit the "Up To" button, then click on the "triade's" arrow corresponding to the axis I want to constrain the movement to and then I click the destination face and the object is moved "Up To" that face.

I am trying to replicate that behavior in OS but don't find it obvious at all. How can I achieve this?

I would also like to be able to "Ctrl+Drag Triade's Handle" to copy object. Is something similar available in OS?
Tagged:

Answers

• JlabsJlabs Member Posts: 28 ✭✭
    I'm not sure if I'm approaching this problem correctly, but what I've done for the "move up to" problem is added a mate connector to both the part I want to move and to the destination face/part. Then you can do a 3d transform using mate connectors and they'll snap together. Occasionally I'll have to add a sketch here or there to correctly position the mate connectors.

Another possible solution is to create a sketch construction line and use the "transform by line" type in the transform tool.
  • florian_fordflorian_ford Member Posts: 54 ✭✭
    This sounds pretty complicated. The way i achieved it was by measuring the distance to the destination face and moving, using the triad, by the exact distance. But this is not as easy as the way SpaceClaim does it...
  • JlabsJlabs Member Posts: 28 ✭✭
    It's actually very simple. Click the point where you want the part to be moved, then add a mate connector. Second, click the point on the part you want to move and add a mate connector. Finally, choose the transform command and choose "transform by mate connector". You may have to flip or re-orient your mate connectors to get the alignment how you want it.
  • 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    @florian_ford
    Can you please open up your workflow a bit. I don't see a reason to move stuff around so much unless you have imported parts that you wan't to combine as single part.
    Assembly worspace is where you connect parts together if you haven't created them together in part studio. There mate connectors appear automatically and connecting two parts needs 4 mouse clicks to perform.

For copying stuff you can use pattern or check copy option in transform dialog. But I don't recommend copying parts as you can use same part multiple times in assembly and keep editing easy.
    //rami