Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Importing a step file into part studio

I am trying to import a step file into an existing part studio. Basically I need to add a servo motor to my design and want to import the servo motor into the part studio to make sure the position for the mounting brackets are correct. 

I have read through the forum and it appears that you can add a step file to an assemble or start a new part studio when you import step file, but you can not add it to an existing part studio.  Additionally I could not find a way to merge parts from one part studio into another part studio, so for example I could take my existing parts and put them in the part studio that was created with the servo motor step file import. 

Additionally the servo motor has 1240 surfaces, and when trying to render this onshape drops to crawl and I have to get a cup of coffee, so by working on design yesterday I got little sleep last night. 

Answers

• Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,396
    Please see the Derived feature (followed by Transform by Mate Connector). A servo motor with 1240 surfaces seems a little extreme. Can you get it in a better format or with less detail?
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    _Ðave__Ðave_ Member, Developers Posts: 712 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2016
    @NeilCooke I was watching this and other post regarding step files not properly converting. I have many complex models which I need to import into onshape if I'm going to use it professionally. So far I haven't had a lot of luck, many files will open in other cad packages but not in onshape. It appears to me that onshape dosn't have a way to repair a model that other cad packages have. I was hoping to hear that this is an important issue and onshape is working hard at improving there converters I didn't want to hear that I need to request that my customers should repair or simplify there models. I actually tried that with a customer and now I have one less customer.

• Options
    GWS50GWS50 Member Posts: 381 PRO
    I also have had problems and not just with STEP files but also with OBJ files. Not helpful when trying to work with other CAD designers