Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Automatic Upgrade for Branched Versions missing – CAD Version conflicts are back :(

florianflorian Member, OS Professional Posts: 110 ✭✭✭
Hi!

I yesterday branched off an old Version (February) and ran into exactly the problem that Onshape tries to solve: Incompatibilities between CAD Versions. All I wanted to do is derive a part from something I created yesterday. Aside of that: I cannot use any FS features in that new branch because the FS Version is too old.
Cannot import a module with FeatureScript version: 432 from module with older version 307

I guess that error message could show a bit more natural english: "Cannot import module with feature script version 432 into document with feature script version 307".

The bigger issue here is: Why does this happen? I understand that versions do not need an automatic upgrade (as it would regenerate a point in the past).

Interestingly enough: Document folders get initialized. I don't know if the upgrade bot is coming around to upgrade me or when the ticket I will open after this post will be read by the wonderful support team. As a user I want to be able to branch of a document created today in 10 years without it telling me that my branch is on version 307 and I have to wait for 600 automatic upgrades to use the current features.

What are our options: Force upgrade on brach creation? Enable the user to upgrade manually?

––Flo

Comments

• Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,362
    Hi Florian, you are right - versions do not get upgraded so if you make a branch it will have the same FS version. Upgrades on very large documents can take a minute or two so we don't do this automatically when a branch is created and most times (Derived feature excepted), the user will not need an immediate upgrade. We are looking at ways to prevent this situation happening. I've just upgraded your document for you.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    @NeilCooke thank you for the quick reply. I noticed that it doesn't work the other way around as well (Derive old document into new). The best workaround before the upgrade was: Parasolid export > Parasolid import.
  • Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,362
    Deriving old doc into new should work (I just tested inserting a 328 part into 432). 
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    john_f_carrjohn_f_carr Onshape Employees Posts: 74
    The expected behavior is if both studios are at version 343 or later, you can import old from new and new from old.  If the newer version is below 343, it can not import anything newer than itself.  Is this consistent with what you observe?
  • Options
    Interesting, because @NeilCooke was importing 328 > 432 (worked). I tried 307 > 432 (Didn't work). So maybe backwards compatibility is a bit better than expected?
  • Options
    john_f_carrjohn_f_carr Onshape Employees Posts: 74
    One of the arrows is swapped.  The original error "Cannot import a module with FeatureScript version: 432 from module with older version 307" means your old document that tried to import a new Part Studio.  Neil's test inserted an old Part Studio into a new document.

Our usual policy is not to backport FeatureScript behavior changes even if they are clear improvements or bug fixes.  Your model might depend on some operation failing.  If we "fixed" that, your model would look different next time you opened it.  The ability to import newer documents is one of these situations.

That's why when we announce a new release (like today) we say the improvements may only appear after models are upgraded.  The upgrade process takes a day or a few days because it has to make sure every workspace works the same after upgrade.