Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

How to create a helical vortex pattern

tyler_marchessaulttyler_marchessault Member Posts: 5
edited November 2016 in Community Support
This discussion was created from comments split from: Improvement Requests Update.

Answers

• Options
    tyler_marchessaulttyler_marchessault Member Posts: 5
    I have this cone shape That won't work with a helix. I'm trying to make a custom helical vortex pattern with proportional design aspects. I'm unable to make the helix to work with the shape in the pitcher. If you can make this object work with the helix effect that would help me out alot.
  • Options
    lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    From @billy

One thing to try, don't have the helix merge with the existing body. 

The helix has to be a manifold without any sliver edges or intersecting surfaces. Without merging you can discover if you have the helix feature correct. That body has to generate.

Once you have helix building properly, then try and get them to merge. Merge has it's own set of problems and is probably the issue why it won't build for you. Same surfaces that kinda touch isn't good enough is some cases involving geometry like yours. Like in early days of solid modeling, make sure the bodies intersect.

Separating these tasks and understanding the failure is the key. This is the 1st step in solving this problem.

I create a lot of curvy stuff and this issue comes up often for me. Sharing a possible solution.

BTW-I like your design, once done, please post a picture.
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • Options
    mahirmahir Member, Developers Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Check out the part studio named Vortex. It's not the exact same shape, but it should give you some ideas of how to design custom shaped helical sweeps.

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/57acdfaae4b005c413ed9b6f/w/3fd585a46d3af1b3ba413c53/e/396546bb7d9f32aab9f2fd41