Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape, CAD, maker project and design.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:

1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Have a question? Ask the community

lougallolougallo Member, Administrator, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,196
edited November 2016 in Community Support
Early in this forum we decided to have both questions and discussions.  Questions are posts in search of a specific answer that can be accepted/rejected by the post owner.  A Discussion tends to be about opinion and feedback on a topic.  In an effort to make this a bit simpler for those that want to ask for help, we have added a new category called Community Support as a landing place for new questions.

New to Onshape?  Want to ask another Onshape user how to do something? Many of you have found if you ask a question here in our forums, our expert users,  CAD enthusiasts and Onshape employees have jumped in to help out.  

You can ask a question at any time by going to the link at the top of the forum and clicking Ask A Question or visiting the Community Support category on the right. (You do need to be logged in to post questions.). This is a great way to get support and help other new users find those same questions they might be wondering about as they get started.

We hope this can help out new users as they find their way into the forums with a load of questions to get themselves started.
Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.

Comments

• brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 1,159 PRO
    edited April 2015
    I am amazed as how quick questions are being answered, its a credit to Onshape and the excitement and the good will the users have and are willing to share. Keep up the good work everyone.
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 1,976 PRO
    And it's great that there is helpful people from different time zones, no matter what time of day question is asked it's always answered shortly.  
    //rami
    edited April 2015
    @Avi ;No you can not model in an assy. However you can RMB click a part to open the part studio it is linked to. 

Next time ask your question from the "Ask A Question Link" in the top ribbon 

Bruce
  • Anders_3Anders_3 Member Posts: 5
    Hi! I am a former SW user. I am trying to use the mate functions in Onshape, but find it a bit quirky till now. Eg. I would like to hear how I make my parts planes visible in the assembly - in case it is possible to make mates to planes(I have made a plane which is tilted some 20 degrees and which I would like to tie to eg. the top plane) ?? best regards, Anders Klingenberg
    @Anders, Try using mate connectors instead of planes. You can add to parts in the part studio. Make sure you select owner part. Check this out:  Mate Connector Help

Hi again. I just checked the different videos, but didn't get any closer to solving my small "problem" with mating angular, plane to plane or likewise. So I made the attached illustration which in short shows what it is I am just about about to do when mating. In SW I used to either make the mate directly between two standard planes, or made an angled plane in the part, next mating in assy. But how is this done in Onshape? I tried going for the "planar mate", but items just collapsed plane to plane - so I guess that wasn't the solution :)
    Hope you can point me in the right direction, as i am making some reverse engineering on some product parts for a design.
    Best regards,
    Anders
    edited May 2015
    And the missing angle on illustration A in the attachment is (ofcourse) 90 degrees - but I missed that one out on the drawing.
    edited May 2015
    I have inserted some pic's. Let us know if you still have problems. Takes a bit of getting use to mate connectors but great once you get the hang of them.

Next time ask your question from the "Ask A Question Link" in the top ribbon 

Tip: you can fix parts in space using the RMB on a part in the tree.

Pic1 Add a mate connect using the 4th icon across. Select the edge of the first part, then tick the Realign and Move adding the x position and rotation about z.

Pic 2 Choose the Fasten Mate  5th icon across. Hover over the edge of the second part and mate connector will auto awaken, select the centre mate connector after it awakens.

Pic 3 Then select the first mate connector you created to complete the fasten mate.

• lougallolougallo Member, Administrator, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,196
    @paul_breed Please post your question into the Community support area.
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
This discussion has been closed.