Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Group Mate vs. Fastened

ethan_1ethan_1 Member Posts: 17 EDU
edited November 2016 in Community Support
Does anyone notice any difference  between using a group or mate, such as performance. I personally when mating, especially repetitive things like fasteners, mate one fastener with a fastened mate, replicate it to all holes, group all together, delete the fastened maters. I find this keep things a bit cleaner.

Anyone have thoughts on this? 

Best Answer

Answers

• elaine_parshall594elaine_parshall594 Member Posts: 1
    It doesn't seem like you can achieve the kind of accuracy for center of mass calculations for an assembly by using grouping rather than mates for parts.  
  • tony_459tony_459 Member Posts: 206 ✭✭✭
    @elaine_parshall594, Can you expand on your comment? This would be an issue---if the mass calculations were less precise just because you grouped instead of fasten parts, despite their arrangement being exactly the same. Is this just a suspicion, or did you experiment and compare results between grouped and fastened assemblies? How much error are we talking about? Thanks!
  • tony_459tony_459 Member Posts: 206 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    @ethan, I do the same. I'd have tens or hundreds of fastened mates in my assemblies otherwise. Plus, it's been suggested to me that groups are better for performance in very large assemblies... Not sure how true this is, but I've stuck with groups nevertheless and use them almost exclusively---unless I have a compelling reason to use a fastened mate. 
  • MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One bad thing about group mates is that, if you are grouping a subassembly in a top-level assembly, it stops the mates resolving in that assembly if you change them, without showing errors either.
    mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100