Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Emails from Onshape - easy ID

peter_10peter_10 Member Posts: 3
Just had another email from Onshape, about upcoming maintenance... but it wasn't obviously from Onshape, it came from (with minor anti-spam edits):

Matthew Stein <mstein =at= onshape.com>

When I signed up for the beta I also had an email from

Lou Gallo <lgallo =at= onshape.com>

and there were possibly some others I've deleted... ISTR invitations to webinars etc came from yet another person...

Now it's lovely to think that all of you Onshape people would like to correspond personally with little old me, but I get a LOT of emails, and keeping them in order and prioritised is an issue. When I see a message from some name I don't recognise I'm hovered over the 'delete spam' button, so it's good if it is immediately obvious that it is not spam!

What would make this a lot easier would be if your emails were in the form:

Onshape - Matthew Stein <mstein atsign onshape.com>
Onshape - Lou Gallo <lgallo atsign onshape.com>

That way, it's immediately obvious who you are and why you are in my inbox... and all Onshape messages are easily located with a simple alphabetical sort. And when your staff roles eventually change, there'll be no need for all your users to recognise a new name to pick up immediately that it's an Onshape message.

If you always started the email subject with 'Onshape' that would work too, but using the 'from' field is best IMO. The latest message subject was "Upcoming Onshape Maintenance" - an alphabetical sort won't do anything useful with that. "Onshape: Upcoming Maintenance" would be better...

Just a minor thing really, but nice when it's done right :-)

Comments

• Options
    matthew_stein_1matthew_stein_1 Member Posts: 5

Hi Pete,

You're correct, our emails come from several people here. This is so you can reply with a question and get a response from the most relevant person. 

Many of our users have replied directly to me, and I try to take the time to respond to them all. That's one of the most important ways I can learn what they need, and what questions we aren't answering soon enough. 

I'm intrigued by your idea of using the company name as part of the email sending name. I'll work on testing that.  We have to balance many factors in email. Getting email into people's inboxes is quite complicated. It's part science, part black magic. 

• Options
    peter_10peter_10 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks! Other people may order things differently to me, so there's probably no one best way... one thing to consider might be to use the company name in front when mass emailing to all users, then drop it for individual replies... even with the same actual email address. But that's starting to get complicated...

• Options
    andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was thinking about pointing this out, too.

Some of my incoming messages from individuals already are prefixed with (Onshape), some are suffixed, and a few are neither. I vote for the prefix, and the use of parentheses in all cases, even those without an individual's name.

This enables using simple ordering of the <<From>> field to grab all the relevant messages to move to the Onshape folder in my email client.
  • Options
    3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    I would prefer only one address for 'mass emails' and have some id in subject to address replies correctly.

This would be because current email clients tend to block everything, I would like to add OnShape address one time to my trusted list and receive all the emails with all the linked stuff without having warnings. 
    //rami
  • Options
    lars_havekostlars_havekost Member Posts: 1
    I was about to post a new topic in the forum but decided to be a good user and search first! I completely agree with the original poster in the email headings used by Onshape. Putting the company name first allows people to instantly recognize that the email is not spam. I think that having a personal touch with emailing people back directly for help is a great idea, but the current format has me hesitant at times to open emails after a quick glance due to their spam-like titles. I'm just one user out of many, so just voicing my opinion :smile: Keep up the good work and know that OnShape is easily the most user-friendly CAD software I've ever used!
  • Options
    onshaperonshaper Member, Mentor Posts: 94 ✭✭✭
    I like that the emails are personalized, and don't mind the frequency either.