Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Importing surface files

bruce_williamsbruce_williams Member, Developers Posts: 842 PRO
Bit different to your blinker but I recently did a little project for a guy who wanted to strap stuff onto a cow, I got a cow model off the web (that wasn't as easy to get in Onshape as it should have been) and in then thought I'd hit a brick wall on the freeform straps with no 3d sketcher but I managed to use the 3d spline to pick points and get roughly what I wanted and quickly.  Not a replacement for a 3d sketcher but certainly good work around for some things. I just thought I'd share. 
I copied this out of the Product Feedback 'NON-PRISMATIC STUFF topic.  Thanks for posting Mr Bartlett!  Very encouraging to see success with file import AND non planer features.

I would like to hear the process for bringing a multi-surface body into Onshape.  For parts that do not knit on import, I found the only thing is fix in Solidworks and then transfer to OS with Parasolid.  

Hopefully @brucebartlett or you others will share tips & tricks....
www.accuratepattern.com