Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Moving a document to another document

Henk_de_VlaamHenk_de_Vlaam Member, Developers Posts: 237 ✭✭✭
edited December 2016 in Community Support
I'm trying to move/integrate all tabs of a document (in)to anorther document. 
Unfortunately I don't succeed. Moving is possible, except a random one of them. He, and so the document, remains. So the whole document cannot be moved.

Is this not possible or is there a way?
Henk de Vlaam (NL)

Best Answers

Answers

• Options
    bruce_williamsbruce_williams Member, Developers Posts: 842 PRO
    www.accuratepattern.com
  • Options
    Henk_de_VlaamHenk_de_Vlaam Member, Developers Posts: 237 ✭✭✭
     Bruce, thank you for this trick.

It's a pitty that one has to use this workaround.
    In my opinion it should be better when all tabs of a document are selected for moving OS asks for acceptence and then removing the (empty) document after the moving of the tabs.

Beside that, I have to do some extra work in the target document Kamermeubels. See the text in the attachment below at the red couch.

Is that extra work correct or am I doing something wrong?

Henk de Vlaam (NL)
  • Options
    raj_Onshaperaj_Onshape Onshape Employees Posts: 106
    If you want to move all tabs you can simply do a 'Copy workspace' which creates a copy of the original document. Can you share what you are planning to achieve by moving all tabs ?
  • Options
    3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    @ptrajkumar

For example you have shared document 'teamwork' and you wan't to test something before putting it out to the team. If succeed you then move all tabs from 'private test' to 'teamwork'. So it's not a copy but combining of docs.

//rami
  • Options
    owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    If you want to move all tabs you can simply do a 'Copy workspace' which creates a copy of the original document. Can you share what you are planning to achieve by moving all tabs ?
    @ptrajkumar

(a) I might design a widget in a new doc and later decide that I want to be able to easily reuse it, so I'll move it into my "common components" doc so I have an easy to remember place to derive from.  To keep things clean I wish to move it, not copy it so I don't end up with orphaned off copies potentially at different revisions.

(b) Building on that, derive (as it stands today) just gives a big long list, so to make things easier to find I have a several "common components" docs, one for housings, one for hardware etc.  Once derive has a few more search / filter / tag functions I'll want to combine all the "common" docs into one.

Cheers,

Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd