Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

onshape workflow discussion

anthony_douglasanthony_douglas Member Posts: 10 ✭✭
I am trying to learn onshape, especially onshape for android.  After learning some Inventor and Solidworks, and Freecad, I have found that one of the most effective wats to learn it is basically a text based discussion by an experienced user, which I follow along with by checking or filling in the blanks by switching to the app.

Basically stuff that talks about the detailed workflow, or videos of actually modelling stuff.  Not idealized demos or tutorials, because it is the accumulation of details that can be real barriers. 

Like it took me aa while to figure out what the "use" function did, and there are aa lot of implications fownstream, all kinds of details that a discussion around the usual useage mode sheds light on.  I still have not figured out how to diagnose sketch constraints for instance, and they are not displayed very well in onshape.  It appears you have to click on eCh one ti display it, I want the all immediately visible on my screen for instance.

Also things like the normal useage mode for parametric relations between parts would help a lot, just as an example.  There are so many ways to do things, experimenting takes too long, and I want to be building good habits without delay.  The typical useage mode tends tp factor in distant fallout of taking one approaches vs another.

Comments

• Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    Hi Anthony,

To address one of your concerns, you can see all the constraints in a sketch at the same time by checking the "Show constrains" option in the sketch dialog.

As for building up good practices, I would recommend watching some of our tutorials (https://www.onshape.com/videos/topic/tutorials) or attending a webinar (https://www.onshape.com/learn/webinars).  The webinars are especially helpful because you can follow along and ask questions in real time.

Hope this helps,
    Jake
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team
  • anthony_douglasanthony_douglas Member Posts: 10 ✭✭
    I have seen that stuff, yes.  The sketch constrains view thing just shows a big list,and you have to click each one to get out to show, before moving to the next one, basically building in your head what other software like solidworks just displays on the screen.  I am a fan of tools that do what they can when they can to relieve the user of such burdens.... and it is important here because sketch constraints can be complexand hard to work with sometimes even when all laid out before us and easy to see.

The problem with tutorials is that they deliberately just focus on ideal scenarios.  The really valuable stuff lies elsewhere.
  • 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    I'd suggest crawling this forum back and forth - there's a lot of good stuff in threads which names can be misleading..

It is impossible to describe the workflow for the software which can be used in many ways for many purposes.

Use built-in help, search forums and ask specific questions when needed, questions with screenshots or link to document gets faster and more accurate answers.
    //rami