Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Incorrect Calculation of an Imperial Dimension

peter_morrispeter_morris Member Posts: 43 ✭✭
I'm currently drawing the headstock of a very old lathe (simply because I can!).  I want the dimensions to show as "Inches Fractions", but when I do the figure is incorrect.  When I use either inches or metric the dimension is correct.  For example the conversion from 15.88mm results in 3/4 when it should be 5/8.  I suspect this is a flaw in the conversion routine, but if you're going to offer Inches Fractions then they absolutely must be correct - a tolerance of a 1/4" is dreadful.  The resolution should be at least 1/128" and probably less.

Ohh, I've just found the problem - the default setting of the precision was too course.  The situation is now much improved as I found I could select a precision of 1/64", but I would propose that the maximum precision is still too course, as mentioned above 1/128 would be better.

(I've left the first part of this question as I wrote it as this may be of use to other users).

Best Answer

Answers

• billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    Another good reason to switch to mm.

quick, what's 7/64th? or 17/128th?

I need to get back to work, as I'm not making any friends today.....