Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

When does shell create radii to hold uniform wall?

bruce_williamsbruce_williams Member, Developers Posts: 842 PRO
@armindilo Has a nice elegant solution for intersecting pipes at https://cad.onshape.com/documents/f6fec9930959f5e092add16f/w/cd8884dce5ef97e6734a4977/e/651a8e3cd8465d8cbf73b4ef    see forum discussion at  https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/comment/24264#Comment_24264 

Shell working here was a surprise to me.  I expected radii would be created at internal intersection (see picture).  So my question is - What are the rules for shell?  When will a fillet/round be created to hold even wall thickness?

www.accuratepattern.com
Tagged:

Best Answers

• Options
    edited December 2016 Answer ✓
    I did some experimenting and answered my question.  A fillet is required to force shell to round the corner holding 'even wall'.  Now I see this is a very good behavior as it gives an option for the corner on inside.  Note the pictures below, I have the smallest fillet allowed (greater than 3.938 e-4; or 1 micron) and then shell creates a radius to hold wall thickness.  By suppressing the fillet, shell creates a sharp corner on inside of part.  NICE!  Have it your way....

www.accuratepattern.com

Answers

• Options
    edited December 2016 Answer ✓
    I did some experimenting and answered my question.  A fillet is required to force shell to round the corner holding 'even wall'.  Now I see this is a very good behavior as it gives an option for the corner on inside.  Note the pictures below, I have the smallest fillet allowed (greater than 3.938 e-4; or 1 micron) and then shell creates a radius to hold wall thickness.  By suppressing the fillet, shell creates a sharp corner on inside of part.  NICE!  Have it your way....

www.accuratepattern.com
  • Options
    ArmindiloArmindilo Member Posts: 31 ✭✭
    Nice catch and nice solution @bruce_williams.