Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Is there an alternative to Alt+Drag on Linux?

arasaras Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
On every Linux desktop environment I have used, Alt+Drag moves the window under the mouse. The browser being another window, moves as well, so I can not use this key combination under Linux. Is there any alternative keys, or any plans to switch this over to something else when under Linux?

Best Answer

• jakeramsleyjakeramsley Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 657
    Answer ✓
    Aras said:
    Hi Aras,

Can you clarify what you are trying to do?  I can't think of any drag operations that we have that are modified by the ALT key.  
    I believe OnShape uses Alt-Drag to do rectangle selection.
    Box/cross-select is done by simply clicking in free space and dragging.  If the user drags left to right, the selection will be a box-select and will select entities that are fully encompassed in the area selecting.  If the user drags right to left will do a cross-select and will select entities that partially fall into the area selecting.  There should be no need for the ALT key.
    Jake Ramsley

Director of Quality Engineering & Release Manager              onshape.com

Answers

• jakeramsleyjakeramsley Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 657
    Hi Aras,

Can you clarify what you are trying to do?  I can't think of any drag operations that we have that are modified by the ALT key.  
    Jake Ramsley

• arasaras Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
    Hi Aras,

• spiked3spiked3 Member Posts: 34
    I just tried alt-drag vs just drag and I saw no difference.
    Mike Partain aka Spiked3
    http://www.spiked3.com
    Answer ✓
    Aras said:
    Hi Aras,

Box/cross-select is done by simply clicking in free space and dragging.  If the user drags left to right, the selection will be a box-select and will select entities that are fully encompassed in the area selecting.  If the user drags right to left will do a cross-select and will select entities that partially fall into the area selecting.  There should be no need for the ALT key.
    Jake Ramsley

• arasaras Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
    Thanks by for the reply. It looks like I was confused, glad this is not an issue.