Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Versions and Workspaces

CreasCreas Member Posts: 1 PRO
edited December 2016 in Community Support
Hello!

I'm looking to do some plastic part development.  I've started with a base design that I'd like to branch into (2) parallel development paths, both still pointing back to a common starting point.  This way, I can make changes to the base, original set of features and have those changes propagate through the branches.

What is the best way to set this up?

Thanks!

Answers

• Options
    Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    Hi Creas!

There was a discussion about this here: https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/5209/how-can-i-make-a-design-change-to-all-my-branches-in-once#latest

Once a version is made in Onshape, it is unmodifiable.  If you would like to make changes to these two branches you should branch off of the version right before the split into two parallel versions, make your changes, and merge these changes back into your branches.  If you want to make further changes to the 'base' after this merge, you can branch again off the 'base' branch right before this merge, make your changes, and merge back a second time.

Hope this helps!
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team