Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

How can i make a design change to all my branches in once?

Tony_ChenTony_Chen Member Posts: 2
I have a small project which create three branches for same basic model.
Due to some reason the basic model need to change on several locations.
Onshape dosen't allow me to edit on version point unless i restore it. But restore means what i edit become the latest model.

I make a edit in one of branches and then merge to  another branch, all the features including what should keep different are merged.
Is there any efficient way to solve situation like that? make a design change to base version then update to all branches in once?

Answers

• Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,391
    Hi @Tony_Chen, think of a branch as a "save as" that is contained within the same Document. Once a version is branched there is no way to update it from another branch unless you merge. 
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    ilya_baranilya_baran Onshape Employees, Developers, HDM Posts: 1,176
    I think the most efficient way to do this is to make a new (fourth) branch from a version prior to your three branches diverging, make the change on it, and merge it into all three branches.
    Ilya Baran \ VP, Architecture and FeatureScript \ Onshape Inc
  • Options
    3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    @NeilCooke @ilya_baran
    I suppose this is something that will be handled with configurations in future?
    //rami
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    @3dcad
    Depends.  Branching and the configurations work we're doing are for different purposes.  Configurations are going to be primarily for the "I am designing a family of parts" use case (and then, yes, you'll be able to make changes to all configurations at once). Branches are primarily for collaboration and exploring design alternatives.  So they'll both have their place (and, for example, doing branching and merging on a Part Studio with multiple configurations will have its uses also).
  • Options
    3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    @ilya_baran
    Thanks for the insight, this scenario is exactly what I'm waiting for.
    //rami
  • Options
    Tony_ChenTony_Chen Member Posts: 2
    Got it, just like what i did to solve for these three branches...  it's a hard work if same situation but too many branches (LOL)
  • Options
    mark_wallströmmark_wallström Member Posts: 4
    edited December 2016
    @3dcad
    Depends.  Branching and the configurations work we're doing are for different purposes.  Configurations are going to be primarily for the "I am designing a family of parts" use case (and then, yes, you'll be able to make changes to all configurations at once). Branches are primarily for collaboration and exploring design alternatives.  So they'll both have their place (and, for example, doing branching and merging on a Part Studio with multiple configurations will have its uses also).
    Wow! Are you really working on a "family" feature like in PTC Creo? I'd love to see your take on it as the Creo family tables I use daily is not that good. Have you released some information on this?
  • Options
    Yep, I expect "family" in Creo roughly corresponds to "configurations" in other systems, and we're working hard on similar functionality.  I believe my forum post is as much detail as we have released so far, primarily because we generally don't discuss functionality publicly until it is released.