Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Part positioning within an assembly...

mark_proulxmark_proulx Member Posts: 48 ✭✭
edited January 2017 in Community Support
How does one establish the position of one part relative to another in an assembly? Consider two prismatic parts. I want to locate one so that one of its vertices coincides with a vertex on the other part. Clicking the part to be moved highlights the triad, which allows one to reposition it. That's great if you know the distance you wish to move. If you don't know the distance (and don't care), and just want to move from point A to point B, how do you do it?

At this point, I merely want to establish the part position; I'll concern myself with constraints later.

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    _Ðave__Ðave_ Member, Developers Posts: 712 ✭✭✭✭
    the fix mate would be the simplest way to accomplish this.
  • Options
    That's where I was headed. This is needlessly cumbersome, but oh, well.

• Options
    3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    And of course you can create multiple parts in single part studio and use dimension & constraint & tranform tools to position parts.
    //rami
  • Options
    @bruce_williams

Thanks for the help. I hate to sound stupid, but I have no idea what you mean by the "square grabber." I see a round grabber at the origin and round grabbers for angle adjustments. I see square grabbers, but they restrict movement to their indicated planes.

I can move the triad origin to the desired starting point, but still can't figure out how to then move the part to a desired destination point.

Again, sorry to be so damned thick...
  • Options
    @3dcad

Thanks for the suggestion. That's more or less what I've been doing. I was just trying to figure out if there exists a somewhat more direct path.  Regardless, I appreciate your taking time to respond.

Mark