Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Pattern tools lag... Is that my machine or Onshape fault?

Hi,

I made wire mesh with linear pattern tool, it regenerates, but it takes few minutes  to regenerate after every change i make...
The same is happening with face pattern tool.

When i supress linear and face pattern features, Onshape runs fast again.
Anybody experience the same?

Thanks!

Win 8, Chrome, 2.2 Ghz, 4 gb RAM, dedicated video memory 128 mb, shared - 2Gb.

Best Answers

• Options
    ilya_baranilya_baran Onshape Employees, Developers, HDM Posts: 1,178
    Answer ✓
    Can you please post a link to your document so that someone can take a look?  Depending on what changes you're making and the graphical complexity of the scene, some slowness could be "expected" or "unexpected".  For example, when you change a pattern instance count, it's expected that the pattern will have to take a bit of time regenerating (depending on the pattern complexity), but if you add a fillet after, say, a face pattern, if that's slow, that's likely a bug on our side.
    Ilya Baran \ VP, Architecture and FeatureScript \ Onshape Inc

Answers

• Options
    ilya_baranilya_baran Onshape Employees, Developers, HDM Posts: 1,178
    Answer ✓
    Can you please post a link to your document so that someone can take a look?  Depending on what changes you're making and the graphical complexity of the scene, some slowness could be "expected" or "unexpected".  For example, when you change a pattern instance count, it's expected that the pattern will have to take a bit of time regenerating (depending on the pattern complexity), but if you add a fillet after, say, a face pattern, if that's slow, that's likely a bug on our side.
    Ilya Baran \ VP, Architecture and FeatureScript \ Onshape Inc
  • Options
    mahirmahir Member, Developers Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Keep in mind that feature patterns take much longer to regenerate than part or face patterns. Part patterns aren't always an option, but it's usually more efficient to pattern a separate part/body and then do a boolean union afterward.
  • Options
    linas_dungveckislinas_dungveckis Member Posts: 4

You can check here whether your machine is compatible or not. 
    https://cad.onshape.com/check

Thanks shashank_aarya, the test shows my pc is ok, but only at the very left side of the performance bar... I need to check the same tasks on other pc.

ilya_baran, this is exactly when i am waiting (For example, when you change a pattern instance count, it's expected that the pattern will have to take a bit of time regenerating :)

And here is my document link.
  • Options
    Nickolas_LockardNickolas_Lockard OS Professional Posts: 36 ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Yes, it's bloody slow. I'm trying to make gauge marks on a measurement tool (which will have a bar magnifier so that users can achieve good resolution, repeatably). I used pattern tool to make primary gauge marks. Then there's a secondary gauge marking (4X magnified) which the bar magnifier will magnify to 10x final.

The patterns went down okay, and I was even able to copy/paste one pattern to another edge then change it's spacing (nice!), but when I go to edit the starting point, no beuno :(

In the end I had to just delete the secondary pattern and rework it, which I seem to do a lot in OnShape. Can you guys please dumb down these really manually intensive processes for us occasional users? :blush::blush::D