Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Fill a hollow object

andrea_6andrea_6 Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
Hello. I have an object with a hole inside. I want to make it solid, how can I fill hidden holes?

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    noanoa Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 141
    Hi @andrea_6 ,

I recommend trying our Delete Face tool. More info here: https://cad.onshape.com/help/Content/deleteface.htm

Depending on the complexity of your model, you should be able to use that tool, select all the internal faces, and the model will fill.

If you make your document public and include a link to it here, we may be able to help more.

-Noa

Noa Flaherty / Customer Success / Onshape Inc.
  • Options
    philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    edited January 2017
    Alternate methodology where there are multiple voids or multiple faces that are difficult to pick;

Lets say your part is called Part1

1) Generate a cube around your part (Part2)
    2) Use Transform/copy to make an identical cube (Part3)
    3) Boolean subtract Part1 from Part2 (keeping tools)
    4) Hide Part1 Part2 Part3
    5) Delete all other bodies (these are the voids)
    6) Show Part1 Part2 Part3
    7) Boolean subtract Part2 from Part3 (you now have an exact copy of the original part (minus the voids)
    8) Optional - this step preserves the original body ID - use this step if Part1 has been derived somewhere else or used in an assembly. Boolean union Part1 and Part2 (make sure you select Part1 first). 

This process is very repeatable and works for any number of voids. Because the steps are always the same, it would lend itself very well to a custom feature (FeatureScript). 

I hope this helps :) 

Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • Options
    philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    AWESOME!!! Neil's Solution is better :)
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • Options
    andrea_6andrea_6 Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
    A lot of good answers here! :)