Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

How to copy the face of a body?

jason_bennett190jason_bennett190 Member, Developers Posts: 17
Given a body, how can I copy a planar face owned by that body?
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    kevin_o_toole_1kevin_o_toole_1 Onshape Employees, Developers, HDM Posts: 565
    Stay tuned for the release of opExtractFace, which will do what you describe.

In the mean time, what do you intend to do with copy? In many cases you can directly use the original face, without creating a new surface.
  • Options
    jason_bennett190jason_bennett190 Member, Developers Posts: 17
    I was shifting it to a different position and using it to create a new solid.

I will look forward to opExtractFace. For the time being,  manually creating a sketch of the surface adds less than a minute to my workflow, so not a big deal. If I get impatient, I have a good idea of how to write a tool using existing operations.

Thanks
  • Options
    lanalana Onshape Employees Posts: 697
    @jason_bennett190
    You can try using the face itself in feature creating the new body (New option in extrude etc.) and moving the newly created body, if that makes sense.

• Options
    otaolafrotaolafr Member Posts: 113 EDU
    Stay tuned for the release of opExtractFace, which will do what you describe.

In the mean time, what do you intend to do with copy? In many cases you can directly use the original face, without creating a new surface.
    hello kevin, I could not find anything about opExtractFace, for the moment i was doing offsets of 0 mm to get a copy of the face, but my issue is that they do not share the same points in the boudaries with the other "copied" faces, so the model is not watertight, did you find any work around this?
    best regards, franco
  • Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,396
    @Otaola_Franco - opExtractFace is a FeatureScript function. Through the UI  you are doing it correctly. What are you trying to achieve? If you copy 2 adjacent faces then all boundaries and vertices will match. If you want to knit them together use Boolean.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    jelte_steur814jelte_steur814 Member Posts: 78 PRO
    if anybody stumbles over this thread looking for an 'extract face' functionality.
    a 0 offset offset faces works. but this custom featurescript may look cleaner and in your feature tree.

I'll be using it with 'delete original faces' set most of the time in my surfacing work.

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/779f5788eaaef8fbd16e4633/w/df3a0ee440fca5e27758ad14/e/0b50ca056c3037b1df28d85b

• Options
    S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,368 PRO
    If this also had an option to untrim the face(s) that would be very useful.