Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Adding a Centerline to a Hidden Hole / C-Bore on a Drawing

jacob_kaessingerjacob_kaessinger Member Posts: 5
So, I figured this would be pretty simple to do but I'm stumped as to how to do this.

I'm trying to add centerlines to the four hole / counterbored hole features on the below part. It will not be necessary to dimension to these, but the hidden lines should be there per good drawing practice.

However, when I select the "Line to line centerline" tool, it won't let me select the hidden lines. I got the centerline at the middle of my part using the two-point centerline and the midpoint snaps. How can I add the other lines without guessing at their locations?

Comments

• Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,427
    Hi Jacob, this is a known limitation and on the todo list, but it you could create an improvement request in the category on the right ----> it will get voted on and get higher priority.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    Thanks for letting me know!
  • Options
    PeteYodisPeteYodis Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 521
    @jacob_kaessinger As a current work-around... Create a section view or section views to capture the center of these features.  The geometry in the view will now be visible and you will be able to created centerlines and dimension the geometry.
  • Options
    viruviru Member, Developers Posts: 619 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    @jacob_kaessinger,Currently in Onshape drawing not possible to give centerline and dimensions from hidden edges and line. Dimensioning and centerline from the hidden line as in NX will minimize user’s effort to create the additional section view to show the dimensions from internal references especially when drawings for simple parts need to be created. You can raise the improvement request ticket for this issue. I hope in near future this facility will provided by Onshape.
    Till time please refer below video workaround (By creating section view) as suggested by @PeteYodis

• Options
    Pete, Veru,

Thanks, I do know that I can add this via a section view. I ended up not needing one, and the centerlines don't really have to be present.
  • Options
    brian_bradybrian_brady Member, Developers Posts: 505 EDU
    Pete, Veru,

Thanks, I do know that I can add this via a section view. I ended up not needing one, and the centerlines don't really have to be present.
    They should be present to convey the shape, even in a view where they are shown as hidden, because that is good practice relative to standards. Dragging centerlines to make them randomly makes them look like crap. (Not referring to what you've done, but the work-around that @viru shows). We need a way to tweak drawings to make them look correct relative to standards if OS is not going to do it automatically. We've had mainstream 3D parametric CAD for about 30 years now and in my opinion, not one of them is as good as plain old AutoCAD at making standards compliant 2D drawings. OS may be the furthest from expectations at this point.