Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Documentation pull requests

cory_isaacsoncory_isaacson Member, Developers Posts: 43 PRO
I recommend that you expose the documentation such that you can accept pull requests for suggestions. It's totally understandable that FeatureScript is new, but the documentation really lacks good examples of how to do common things, slowing down the implementation. If you accepted pull requests we could suggest doc improvements and examples, it would make it much better, and you would have to address fewer questions in the forums.

Best Answer

Answers

• fastwayjimfastwayjim Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 220 PRO
    I'll be honest, I'm not quite sure what you're asking here.
  • ilya_baranilya_baran Onshape Employees, Developers, HDM Posts: 1,173
    We are certainly happy to consider any suggested changes to the standard library (documentation, or if you see a bug).  The FeatureScript team monitors the FeatureScript forum category pretty closely, so if you post suggested changes as a link to a public Feature Studio (for instance that is a modified std Feature Studio), we'll try to incorporate the change.  The reason for a public document link rather than a direct post is that in that case, our TOS give us license to use your changes (unless explicitly specified by a license tab) in std -- otherwise you'd have to specify an explicit license.

Thanks in advance for the help!
    Ilya Baran \ VP, Architecture and FeatureScript \ Onshape Inc
  • cory_isaacsoncory_isaacson Member, Developers Posts: 43 PRO
    Thanks for the response. To be more specific, is there a reason that you don't just do it the way an open source project would? That would expose the documentation source files, then anyone could edit it directly as a pull request which you can then approve/reject/modify, so you keep total control but things can happen much faster with a lot of people contributing. I thought I read that FS was in github, if so it would be very easy to enable this and I think Onshape and the whole community would get a lot of benefit. Again, just a suggestion, I can contribute suggestions through the forum too if you like, just more work and not as fast (for your team mainly).
  • billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    cory-

I use both the forum & github when featurescripting. I think the forum is better. 

The forum is really good with tons of examples from many sources. Finding them may be a little difficult especially if you're new and haven't been following the forum for a while. I seach the featurescript forum constantly for code snippets and ideas. Most of the stuff I want has been done and is available. It's a very open community.

Onshape is built on top of sharing. There's no reason you can't share a document with a feature script in it and begin a public featurescript project. I do most my stuff in a public fashion so others can learn. If you don't want that, there are ways to lock your code down so others can't see your secret algorithms. No one has ever contributed any code to one of my featurescripts, could be my fault as no one can figure out my madness.

The help in the featurescript area is exceptional. Many times I get responses real time while coding. 

• cory_isaacsoncory_isaacson Member, Developers Posts: 43 PRO
    Got it, thanks for explaining. I'll submit recommendations when I can.