Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

revolve/remove

james_brown802james_brown802 Member Posts: 1
how do i set the depth of my revolve/remove cutout? I Would like to input dimensions to design a sink. thanks.

Comments

• philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    James - not sure what you're asking!

A revolve feature takes a sketch profile or a face and revolves (New/Add/Remove/Intersect) by an angle (about an axis) either one way, the other or symmetric or from a start angle to an end angle.

Here is a video
    https://www.onshape.com/videos/revolve

What's your question? :)
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • rod_muirhead943rod_muirhead943 Member Posts: 94 EDU
    edited November 2020
    I like Onshape.  I am an Inventor guy.  I have created a 3 inch diameter by .25 inch snow flake.  Now I want to revolve remove material so that the right side view of the snow flake is tapered.  I have the sketch complete at the neutral origin and now want to revolve remove 360 degrees around the neutral axis.  All of my geometry solid lines turn into dashed hidden lines.  The revolve line at 0,0,0 stays solid.  Its not working.  can someone help?
  • bruce_williamsbruce_williams Member, Developers Posts: 842 PRO
    edited November 2020
    @rod_muirhead943

It looks like your sketch is not closed geometry.  The center rotation line needs to be all the way across. If you hide all geometry except the sketch, you should see a shaded area that you want to revolve; yours will be unshaded (open).

Another issue you may have is set the revolve to intersect vs remove and choose the main part as 'merge scope'.

And ideally your sketch should be all constrained - the lines should be black vs blue.

See the help files here for full description of using revolve.  
    www.accuratepattern.com
  • rod_muirhead943rod_muirhead943 Member Posts: 94 EDU
    Thanks, having been in the Autodesk Inventor worlds for several years now sketches work planes, axis , rotation revolve is not new.  Onshape is very new.  It is a great program,  Just wanted to revolve remove and taper the snow flake.
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    how do i set the depth of my revolve/remove cutout? I Would like to input dimensions to design a sink. thanks.
    The depth of a revolve is set by the profile you are revolving. You need to sketch the cross section of the revolve. See the snow flake sample in this thread.