Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Auxiliary views in Drawing mode

Is it possible to define a view in the Drawing mode that is normal to a construction plane associated with a given part?

Sometimes your part has ended up at some crazy angle to the default orthogonal planes in its Workspace, and you don't necessarily have good reference edges/faces to set up a sensible set of drawing views.

Answers

• NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,308
    Hi @hans_haenlein - you can create an auxiliary view by selecting the Auxiliary View icon and picking a straight edge from a parent view. Planes are not supported in Drawings. If you don't want to see the parent view, you can drag that view outside the drawing border. If it is something else you are requesting, please create an improvement request in the category on the right ---->

Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • viruviru Member, Developers Posts: 619 ✭✭✭✭
    @hans_haenlein, Currently this facility is not available in Onshape. You can raise improvement request for this. In near future we hope that this facility will be provided by Onshape.
  • howard_bertolohoward_bertolo Member Posts: 5 PRO
    Has there been any development on this? I have a simple problem, a flat rectangular instrument panel on the sloped face of a console. The panel is drawn on a tilted plane in part studio, i.e. the angled plane of the console face. The panel is a sketch that is extruded to the thickness of the panel material.

I want a drawing only of the panel face but I'm struggling to find a simple way to extract this view without the entire view being shown at an odd angle in the drawing.

• NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,308
    @howard_bertolo create a named view in the part studio looking down on the panel. When you add a drawing view you can select the named view.

Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI