Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Running an experiment: dirty parts, made dirt cheap!

cwmkcwmk Member Posts: 10 ✭✭
I have a small CNC machine shop here in the Boston area focused on prototyping for my own R&D purposes building on possibilities enabled by cloud-based workflow and rich APIs. I have some ideas around very-low-cost manufacturing that I would like to put to the test, and I figured the best way to do market research is to try making some real parts for someone other than myself.

(Admins, I hope this isn't considered spam but if so I understand and apologize in advance for your trouble.)

Anyway, here's the basic rules of the game:

Material: 6061
Maximum part size: 6"x4" X/Y and up to 1" deep
Cost: $25 per side for 2.5D machining, for one part, includes material and USPS flat rate shipping to a US address 
Quantity: minimum 1 part, maximum 10
Tolerances: Generally better than +/- .005", but may be as bad as +/- .030"
Turn time: 7-30 days depending on demand

My basic line of thinking here is there is a use case for parts with relatively simple geometry--think a rectangular enclosure that's machined in two to six operations by clamping in a vise to mill out the basic shape, drill holes or cutouts in sides, etc.. My theory is that if I can hold certain things constant, I can bring the cost of programming, setup, and machining down very low.

To play, the part must be designed in Onshape and available publicly. Share with my username or PM me the link. I'm thinking taking up to ten or so parts for this test, but reserve the right to cry "uncle" at any time. Payment via Paypal with a 7-day money-back guarantee for up to two parts per person. Basically, I make it, if you like it, great, if not, no argument, just tell me why you're unhappy and I'll refund. (I'm limiting to two parts to avoid getting soaked or taken for a ride). 

NDA, legal, etc.: Parts must be available publicly so no NDA, I guarantee they will be unsuitable for all purposes other than decorating your desk, I reserve the right to retain copies of parts/CAM/GCode/CAD for my own research purposes, and it's extremely unlikely I'll go into competition when I realize how brilliant your fuel demagnetizer or Em Drive design is. I'm an idiot offering to make first-article machined parts in the US for $25 each including material and shipping so my business acumen is clearly questionable. 

Thanks for reading and apologies again if this is crossing any lines of bad forum manners. 

Comments

• Options
    philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    @cwmk - hello! 
    Love your post :)
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • Options
    Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,066 PRO
    This is rad! I'm trying to think if there's anything I could throw your way just 'cause. I've hit a few snags with my Em Drive  :#
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl
  • Options
    fastwayjimfastwayjim Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 220 PRO
    I love this, I'll have something for you this weekend. Also, I'm local - discounts for pickup? :)
  • Options
    philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    edited January 2017
    Me Me Me! :) 
    Ok, this may be beyond what you were looking to do, but if you machine these, i am interested in a quote for 4! :)

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/8dc4fe36e60046e390717300/w/57584a24a71b4f49aae4541b/e/bb4eabade0ff45e18d1a2363

EDIT - Drat, just saw that you max out at 1" in Z :(
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • Options
    colemancoleman OS Professional Posts: 244 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Thats not quite 2.5D mill work  :/
  • Options
    Thanks everybody! This is all useful. So far I am discovering that most of the parts people want don't quite fit the super-simplistic model  :D That is of course a big part of the point. 

@philip_thomas The depth of that part makes it a bit trickier for me as it would require some extended-reach tooling and my mill (Tormach 1100) effectively maxes out at 1/2" diameter tools which get a bit... noodle-y at 4+ inch length. I'll bet it's workable but a mill that can take 1"+ tooling would be able to rough this out a lot faster. Most of my tooling maxes out around 2" deep which is where I work but I'll chew on this one a bit to see how much it would cost me to give it a try (stock alone is ~$45 :o ) but the whole point of this is to try things! This part would be 4 setups (3 inside faces, plus the bottom) so it would be $100.  
  • Options
    @cwmk
    @philip_thomas
    $100 for that part is a darn good deal! 
  • Options
    @cwmk - awesome - let me know what you think - i need 4 but happy to pay for the first one to see how doable this is. If all works out, i'll take all 4!
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    @cwmk - What's your minimum radius on this fillet?

Edit: This is a 4" X 4" X 1" block with a 3" X 3.25" X 0.75" pocket.
  • Options
    @fastwayjim
    Obviously I cannot speak for @cwmk, however from a machining standpoint:
    Here is a good rule of thumb- 
    Divide your depth by 3
    .75 / 3= .25

That is the smallest endmill diameter @cwmk will want to use for maximum efficiency in your pocket. 
    He will likely rough it out with something much bigger and then switch to a smaller cutter for finishing the walls (and your corners). 

1/8 in corner radius.

Also if you give @cwmk a little room to work with... like 10% over the standard fraction...then you will get better surface finish in the corners.  An on size cutter will chatter as it cuts the corner because of engagement angle.  
    So if you went with .150in corner radius, then he can use a 1/4 endmill and it won't bark in the corners.

If you absolutely need a smaller corner radius obviously that is doable.  But for max efficiency 3 x Diameter is best. 
  • Options
    Bummer, I don' think this company logo piece is going to work then. It's got some pretty sharp corners, and with .150" radii it would lose a lot of detail. It was a great challenge to design it for 2.5D though! :)

• Options
    @fastwayjim
    great work on that logo design.  

Of of course you can do smaller corner radi....I just know he is trying to make parts 'fast and cheap.  
  • Options
    brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    Bummer, I don' think this company logo piece is going to work then. It's got some pretty sharp corners, and with .150" radii it would lose a lot of detail. It was a great challenge to design it for 2.5D though! :)

Maybe you could try sinking the outside face to take away some of the pocketed corners along the bottom edge. You won't be able to get rid of them all but by changing some of the depths on the inside you may also be able to reduce the pocketed corners and still get a similar effect. If you post a link we could have a play.
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • Options
    Yeah, I've popped the checkered parts up, and it definitely reduces the number of IR's, but .150" is still too big for this. @cwmk - Can we get confirmation on your minimum IR?

Unfortunately, I can't share the file right now.
  • Options
    @fastwayjim Sorry to take a little while to get back to this, busy with the day job. In general @coleman is dead-on, toolmakers generally make endmills with a depth of cut that's 1-2x diameter ("stub" mills, which are more rigid), and regular length is typically 3xD. When I design my parts, I'd generally design radii of .135 or more for a .250 tool, .400 for .375, and so on, but even a little over nominal (say .130) will make machining easier.

With that said, the logo is a 3D part, because you have contiguous surfaces with unequal Z. I'm not necessarily allergic to more complex geometry, but the machining can take a lot longer depending on finish expectations. For really smooth surfaces like say injection molds you might do finish passes with a .005" stepover and on my machine that will take a looooong time. On the plus side, it's still 1 setup, two to make it look pretty all around.

Right now the longest thinnest tool I have is a .125" EM with a, I think .500 length of cut. It's on a 3/8 shank so I probably have a reach of about 1" if it's simply a clearance problem. So I might be able to do a little better. There's also the option of doing a light chamfer cut around the edges which could define the shape in the radiused corners a little better. 

It is interesting (and perhaps revealing) that the simple parts everybody wants are turning out to be not quite as simple  :p
  • Options
    owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    edited January 2017
    cwmk said:

It is interesting (and perhaps revealing) that the simple parts everybody wants are turning out to be not quite as simple  :p
    I think recent developments in CAD and 3D printing have made design and manufacture easier, more intuitive and more accessible to a greater number of people.  

I'd fooled myself into thinking that if those two fields are so easy to pick up (at least enough to be useful, if not to master) then CAM/CNC will be just the same...  Not so, a bit of a steeper learning curve there, and with less developed software too, at least at the lower end of the market.

Simply put, it's Onshape's fault for making it all look too easy  :p

Just my 2 cents worth.

Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • Options
    @philip_thomas: I think I have to decline this invitation, the cost of tooling and stock is high enough relative to my uncertainty about success that I think it falls outside the scope of my experiment. If you had a way to get some brackets welded up I could machine the outer faces and place the holes really easily, or alternatively, would it be possible to build the part up by bolting three plates together? I saw you did an FEA on this but I don't know how close the margins are. 

@owen_sparks: Yes, CAM vendors for the most part (MeshCAM, which I have not used, seems to be outwardly different) seem to all be very focused on power-with-complexity, and some of them are just abominations from a UX standpoint. I suspect that this is partially a result of the design:manufacture dichotomy that largely prevails in industry, and also the fact that small optimizations and tweaks can be quite valuable when making 500 or 50,000 of a thing, as opposed to one or five. Some of the need for "simpler CAM" is also probably taken up by conversational controls, some of which are becoming quite sophisticated in their own right and have the advantage of being tailored for the machine.

• Options
    @cwmk - thank you so much for considering this job. Don't worry about passing - I am thrilled that you are offering this service to Onshape users and I hope that it works out for everyone :)
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • Options
    GregoryGregory Member Posts: 2
    Would you be open to using some other material than 6061?  I've got some things that I think would fit within your requirements, but I'd prefer to get them in plastic instead.
  • Options
    Gregory: Acetal is nice stuff to work with. Costs a bit more in small quantities than 6061, but machines like butter. 
  • Options
    autotivMFGautotivMFG Member, Developers Posts: 2 PRO
    @cmwk I have a startup in the Boston area that is working on making low volume manufacturing in plastics and metals (including CNC) cheaper, faster, and easier to quote. We should chat sometime soon!

Shoot me an email at dylan@autotiv.com when you get a chance and let me buy you lunch :)
  • Options
    I had a chance to meet with Dylan (@autotiveMFG) last week and he is the real deal!
    If you are looking for a cost effective manufacturing partner, please reach out to him.
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • Options
    @Jake_Rosenfeld This took me longer to get to than I planned (day job, software problems, tooling problems  :p ) but finally got a chance to run this last night. 

This has a few small oopses* in it, so consider it a free part :) PM me your mailing address and I'll get it on its way in the next few days. 

* In case anyone cares, I did the profiling of the letters with a 1/16" endmill, so there are some divots between the s/h/a and p/e. A 1/32" EM would have eliminated these, but with a max RPM of 5000, even the 1/16" EM is painfully slow to use. Also, the first time I clamped the part to machine the back side (which was optional, but I wanted all 6 sides to be milled rather than sawn or raw), I accidentally caught the foot of the p in the vise, which resulted in the lump you can see. I could run a facemill over the top which would make it stand out less. 
  • Options
    Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    Wow @cwmk !! This is awesome!
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team