Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Having a problem bolting 2 flanges together..

Tony_C_Tony_C_ Member Posts: 272 PRO
I don't get what I'm doing wrong here.

I can't bolt this valve assembly together.   The mates that should work just break the assembly when I apply them.   Everything is cylindrical. I don't get why they're not going together. 

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/0e3a2dbcc6a78822c324294b/w/92ede8d3a7af7de9095061ee/e/dd9055c2a74411e0d3cf8c79

I've left it where it begins to break. All I'm trying to do is put a cylinder mate on the bolt & nut........it doesn't like that.....and I can't figure out why.

I can make it work another way. I'm posting this to try and figure out why it's doing what it's doing when in my mind using a cylinder mate on a nut & bolt shouldn't break the assembly.   
Tagged:

Comments

• Tony_C_Tony_C_ Member Posts: 272 PRO
    edited January 2017
    For extra credit......How come doing a circular array breaks the mates and makes the assembly unmovable when inserted into another assembly?

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/0e3a2dbcc6a78822c324294b/w/1a65d5ba680fa38db7888e0c/e/dd9055c2a74411e0d3cf8c79

eta:  I think there may be something funny with the imported lock washer. 
  • viruviru Member, Developers Posts: 619 ✭✭✭✭
    @Tony_C_ , You can't bolt your valve assembly together because PCD of part "4"/FLANGE/SOC" is 7.525997 in and part "4"/VALVE/BUTTERFLY" is 7.5 in which is not equal to each other. If you make both same then your problem will solve. kindly refer below image for more detail.

Viru,  I didn't use the bolt holes on the valve as a mate.  Only the center. (Which could be an issue, but I thought I tried it without the valve in the assembly at all)   One flange has a washer and bolt mated to a flange hole, the other flange has the washer and nut mated the it. If I try to put a cylinder mate on the nut and bolt shouldn't they merry up?    
    I think there may be something wrong with how the flange was imported.  If I make a new sketch in the flange and  try and "use" the bolt hole edges it comes up as a spline and doesn't project the edge as a circle........hummmmm  
  • viruviru Member, Developers Posts: 619 ✭✭✭✭
    @Tony_C_, Kindly match PCD same (7.5 in) for both parts then I am damn sure there will be no problem in your assembly. If then also it happening then feel free to ask me.
    Viru, 

I think I found the problem. There's something wrong with the flange itself. The Center hub isn't concentric with the bolt pattern.  I can put a mate on two holes and but trying to add in the center mate breaks it.  

Thanks for looking into it though. 

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/0e3a2dbcc6a78822c324294b/v/cb8292527e2c614293257522
  • RKRK OS Professional Posts: 16 PRO
    Tony,

The problem is with imported geometry.  The bolt holes in 4"/FLANGE/SOC are cylindrical, however if you click on any of the round edges you cannot get a diameter measurement.  This usually happens with files exported from certain systems.  I deleted the holes and then recreated them to get the mates to work.

1.jpg 118.1K
    2.jpg 142.8K
    RK, Yeah, digging into it I noticed the holes don't show as arcs if you project them in a sketch. They project as splines.  

And I'm not shocked the problem turned out to be the flange. It's been imported and exported into 4 or 5 different cad programs.

I was just pulling my hair out trying to nail down the problem.