Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Is there a way to reset the primary axes of an assembly?

trip_allentrip_allen Member Posts: 5 PRO
I built a complicated assembly around a part which was facing the wrong direction. Can I change the "front" and the other faces around now?

Answers

• Options
    TimRiceTimRice Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 315
    If you are in a part studio, you could use the Transform feature along with mate connectors to move the part. However, depending on how you modeled the assembly, you may run into broken references if you were to flip the part. If you can share a link to the document we could take a look.
    Tim Rice | User Experience | Support 
    Onshape, Inc.
  • Options
    carl_von_ayrescarl_von_ayres Member Posts: 16 ✭✭
    Hi, in a assembly you can reorientate your base part [and hence the parts constrained against it] by 1) select a face

2) move centre to a referance point, right click and select move to origin

3) left click on a axis and click align with z, finally you can use the three rotation handles to select the desired angle you want. Finally fix the point when you have the face you want on the front plane.

This is the way shown by onshape and works well once you get to gribs with it, to begin with i would simple use a fasten mate between the base part and the origin and align from there.

It would be nice to have a option in the view to make current view normal.

2.JPG 39.8K
    1.JPG 27.2K
    3.JPG 44.2K
  • Options
    billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,015 PRO
    edited January 2017
    You can add it to another assembly correctly and stop using the errant one.

I find not having planes in an assembly confusing. 
    -insert your grounded parts 1st and fix'm
    -add a mate connector to the origin 1st thing (Lou's hint) and build to it

Is this why things are backwards?