Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Sketch on Face - "some external references are missing"

ColleColle OS Professional Posts: 4 PRO
Maybe i'm missing something obvious but i'm having an issue where i create one sketch then extrude a part from that sketch.. then sketch on one of its faces to create a second part .. so far all is good.! Now if i go back to the first sketch and change the spacing of of some attachment points. on confirming these changes this of course makes Sketch 2 go red...

When i edit sketch 2 i get the warning "some external references are missing" but the sketch is black and there are about a half dozen references between the two sketches is there no way to tell which reference is broken.? all i have been able to do is delete parts of sketch 2 until it goes black then redraw what i had to delete.. this then causes the issue to ripple to the next (sketch 3) that was drawn on a face or linked to Sketch 2.... and so on...

Is there a way to get a list of what external references are missing and simply resolve the those references.? or how should i be structuring things so that when i make a change on an early sketch it doesn't break the references on later sketches.?

Thanks you for your time,

Colle

Answers

• Options
    jakeramsleyjakeramsley Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 657
    While in the sketch with the errant references, click the "Show constraints" checkbox which will show all of the constraints in the sketch.  The failed/errored constraints will come in as red.  Any missing reference will say "Dangling" if hovering over them.  From here, you can select the constraint and hit the delete key to remove it.

For example, I projected a bunch of faces that I then removed upstream.  This means the references will go missing.

1. Open the errant sketch and notice it is red with missing references.

2. Click the "Show constraints" checkbox.  All constraints will appear on the screen.  The red ones are constraints that the solver has failed to solve.  In this case, the constraints are dangling, referencing geometry that doesn't exist at this point in time.

3. Select an errored constraint in the graphics area and when it is highlighted and hit delete.  This will delete the constraint.  Do this for all errored constraints.

Jake Ramsley

Director of Quality Engineering & Release Manager              onshape.com
  • Options
    ColleColle OS Professional Posts: 4 PRO
    Thank you so much for the very clear answer Jake. I real appreciate it.!!
  • Options
    IsoworksIsoworks Member Posts: 22 PRO
    edited April 2018

• Options
    paul_bunnellpaul_bunnell Member Posts: 25 EDU
    Rather that deleting a dangling reference is it possible to replace the missing reference with sketch geometry that does exist?  (I fear that the answer is 'no,' but I know PTC Creo has very good capabilities for identifying and fixing broken references.  Now that PTC owns OnShape hopefully that will be one of the improvements they make.)
  • Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,396
    No, Onshape doesn't have a "Reroute" feature (one of the most powerful features in Creo and one of my favourites, though often misunderstood), or a "Sketch Replace" feature.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    ayman_el_refaieayman_el_refaie Member Posts: 2 PRO
    If they can only re-create the powerful collaboration features of Onshape (Atlas) with the incredible power and tight data structures of the Granite kernel.  I have used Creo for 30 years and also UG, NX, Solidworks, Inventor and a little Catia. Creo is clearly the absolute winner when it comes to repairing references when major changes have changed... and then it does not crash like the other CAD tools when doing these repairs. 
  • Options
    outstandingoutstanding Member Posts: 56 ✭✭
    edited October 2023
    Made a votable Improvement Request. Please chime in if you find this is still needed.